• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Shiny New Bullion or Old silver.

Gary5566

7 minutes ago, Gary5566 said:

Should I save up for Nice new coins (that always have massive Premiums whenever I look) or keep going to my local coin shops and buying any random silver of varying purity (as long as it’s a reasonable price)

Or buy off here members are great and deals are good i would stick to 999 unless it a piece you really like 

Edited by Rains

5 minutes ago, Rains said:

Or buy off here members are great and deals are good i would stick to 999 unless it a piece you really like 

That’s a good idea! 
I’m new to this so I’ll keep an eye out now :)

Just now, Gary5566 said:

That’s a good idea! 
I’m new to this so I’ll keep an eye out now :)

Welcome  Gary Its a lot cheaper then the main dealers and you would need a min of silver membership to view the deals that are listed in the first 3 days as you can imagine the good deals go fast 

@Rainshas made two excellent points, stick to .999 until you find your feet ( easier to move on in the future without trying to explain the history of coin and purity etc)

The membership will serve you very well and likely pay for itself monthly depending on purchase rate.

This next bit is subjective but in my personal opinion £25/£26 per oz is your top buy price for 1oz coins in the current climate, yes you will see many priced higher due to rarity and imports etc,but until you find your own personal direction,I'd stick to standard bullion. 

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

Stacking old currency silver for weight alone can cause issues come resale time, you'll often find that unless you got it cheap realising the same value out as you put in could be problematic. The exceptions appear to be .900 American or .925 British coins which always seem pretty fluid at a "junk" or stacking silver level, ideally close to spot although buying it for that price isn't super common any more. As you're in Germany your domestic market may be different mind you.

Things change when you move into numismatics, but you will then be considering a specific audience and may struggle to sell quickly if that's a priority. It sounds like you're looking at using the metal as a store of value so most likely you're after bullion. I would say get the best deals you can on recognisable products, whether by brand reputation (Royal Mint Britannia, Krugerrand etc) or some other means such as hallmarking. Cost averaging is a method that takes some of the angst out of paying more than you'd like on the odd occasion and as long as you inventory your stuff and balance your costs I wouldn't stress over getting that couple of percent premium better deal when something decent is in front of you.

Just my two pennies worth.

I use to work in cologne quite a bit and didn't think the premiums were that bad. What's the price difference between buying from bullion shop and selling in the second hand market there? Because here it's the difference of probably £1 per ounce. As for what is better? Not sure it matters really but someone once said her only buy something with the view of "how do I sell this". My collection is 25% 999 and 75% old silver. My 999 will be sold first.