• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Is it worth buying Gold that is a low purity?

Gary5566

Just check that the price is worked out per fine weight 

For example 1 oz of 9ct gold for $1956 is not the same as 1 oz 24ct for the same price.

9ct is 38% I think? So $1956 x 38% would be the spot price $743 

Might seem obvious but I've seen lots advertising 100g of silver coins for what would be spot price for 100g of pure silver when they're actually 50% and therefore advertising at double spot price 

2 hours ago, modofantasma said:

Just check that the price is worked out per fine weight 

For example 1 oz of 9ct gold for $1956 is not the same as 1 oz 24ct for the same price.

9ct is 38% I think? So $1956 x 38% would be the spot price $743 

Might seem obvious but I've seen lots advertising 100g of silver coins for what would be spot price for 100g of pure silver when they're actually 50% and therefore advertising at double spot price 

Thank you for the advice. 

I’ll keep a look out for the right spot prices then. 
:)

Complete noob question alert... Would you then refine the jewellery and extract the gold? What's the process / cost involved as I've considered this myself with both gold and silver jewellery. Is it worth it? 

2 hours ago, StelliosDriver said:

Complete noob question alert... Would you then refine the jewellery and extract the gold? What's the process / cost involved as I've considered this myself with both gold and silver jewellery. Is it worth it? 

Unlikely you'd refine it. If you sell the scrap gold you'll get about the price of the gold content. If you have refined your own bar without building a brand and reputation you'd get no additional premium for the refined gold even after spending  the time and money on refining. 

There is a chap called Jason on YouTube Mount Baker Mining and metals or something... Mbmmllc if I remember correct. Or another channel I think is 'Sreetips' who talks about the process. 

On 11/04/2022 at 03:26, Gary5566 said:

If I can buy Gold below spot or at spot but it’s 9ct or 14ct is it still worth getting? 

I’ve seen 6ct Gold in the US and it seems crazy. 

IMHO, I don't think it's worth it.  The hassle of dealing with non-pure gold, especially when it's time to sell may be problematic.   Before you buy, consider "shopping" around and ask what the non-pure (9ct or 14 ct) gold item would fetch if you were to sell it.  You may be surprised at the lower value.   

The lowest karat gold I personally would buy is 22 karat (or 91.67% pure).  Lots of choices out there, including the beloved Sovereigns.