• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Birthday Gold

Monsmoy

I would like to mark three children's years of birth with a gold coin purchase that they will inherit.  May I ask the Forum which would be the best gold coin investment for the following years: 2005, 2007, 2012.

I am aware of Sovereigns and special years, but seek a 1oz gold coin from wherever in the world ( Libertad, AGE, Philarmonic or Panda etc) that collectors are speculating on. It maybe a limited mint number or a small sale number or something differen like a unique one off.

Thank you in advance for any words of advice.

Perth Mint Lunar Year gold issues for those years (Rooster, Pig & Dragon).

Me, I have 1 troz gold China Panda for my 2 kids born in 1985 & 1989. I actually have a complete run of all the 1 troz gold designs from 1982 - 2015 (quit the China Panda gold series when they switched to 30 gram weights).

Pic of China Panda 1 troz gold designs from 1982 - 2015. 2016 and onwards are 30 grams only.

A545C762-221C-4776-B1AF-36F69A071C23.thumb.jpeg.98476f6f98a2a40ddfcf632f863a4f29.jpeg

Edited by trozau

I would suggest that you take a look at the 2005 proof gold one ounce Britannia. One of Philip Nathan's best designs and rather  unusual for depicting a thoughtful  and not especially warlike Britannia. Might be particularly suitable for a girl. Not cheap, however, if you simply want  one ounce of pure gold.

1 hour ago, trozau said:

Perth Mint Lunar Year gold issues for those years (Rooster, Pig & Dragon).

Me, I have 1 troz gold China Panda for my 2 kids born in 1985 & 1989. I actually have a complete run of all the 1 troz gold designs from 1982 - 2015 (quit the China Panda gold series when they switched to 30 gram weights).

Pic of China Panda 1 troz gold designs from 1982 - 2015. 2016 and onwards are 30 grams only.

A545C762-221C-4776-B1AF-36F69A071C23.thumb.jpeg.98476f6f98a2a40ddfcf632f863a4f29.jpeg

Thank you.  Are any of those 3 years especially small in number or elusive, in either the Pandas or Lunars? I do not mind getting three different coins.  My priority if trying to find one of the more (market) desirable releases that year

Being previous year issues, they would all be challenging to source. The Perth Mint Lunar Dragon would be the higher  premium of the 3 with the Dragon being popular. The earlier year Panda (2005 & 2007) would be higher premium and lower mintage (if you can source them). Good luck with the hunt.

I was going to suggest the American Gold Buffalo from your wish list but they did not start until 2006.

6 hours ago, trozau said:

Being previous year issues, they would all be challenging to source. The Perth Mint Lunar Dragon would be the higher  premium of the 3 with the Dragon being popular. The earlier year Panda (2005 & 2007) would be higher premium and lower mintage (if you can source them). Good luck with the hunt.

I was going to suggest the American Gold Buffalo from your wish list but they did not start until 2006.

Thank you. That is just the type of direction I sought.  I will try for the 2005 & 2007 Pandas and the 2012 Dragon.  Last question: are we talking about bullion or proof or would the proof of these coins be almost impossible to find due to small numbers?