• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Grading Proof Coins Necessary?

Howie

I was asked a couple of months ago if I was going to Grade my QB,s collection. I was undecided then and didn’t really understand the complicity or better said the reason why! I understand that a collector would only buy the best. My QB,s Completer was ordered but due to Brexit delivered 5 weeks later! So I can’t get a first release grading! It’s the same Coin so why is it 1st release? I know NGC specifies that the Coin must be delivered inside 4 weeks of release. I was always in belief that a Proof Coin was/is the best Mintage quality at this moment in time so where’s the difference? Do they have different Cameo/ Frosted Coins in the US? Just asking! And to be quite honest a Proof Coin in its original presentation box means more to me than the same Coin in a Plastic/Blister packaging with a barcode! So here we go again Buyer or Seller that’s the question? I’ve decided against grading but I suppose it’s just a personal preference. I’ve always thought that companies jump on the bandwagon as soon as money,s involved! Is grading really necessary?

Take Care y,all Stay Safe

It’s a personal choice, my new proof coins are mainly graded but not all. This is to confirm they are genuine, the quality of them and keep my sticky paws off them. My much older coins while kept in capsules to protect them are handled as normal. I prefer PF70 and ms70 coins but also anything that is interesting.

Hi Chorlton,

thanks for your reply. I also had doubts about coins being bought online if they’re genuine or not! I was thinking of buying a Gold Screener or whatever they’re called for around €1.200,00 but doesn’t make sense for 5-10 Coins. So I came up with the idea that if I can’t determine the genuinity then who can? So I went to a reputable Gold Dealer offering my coins for sale they have all the equipment required for authenticating etc. ! Refused the ridiculous offer then went home feeling quite smirky not having spent a single penny but relieved that my coins were as expected GOLD.

Stay Safe & Regards from Germany (Expat)