• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

closed Reduced -The shipwreck saga continues what a coin!! Shipwreck Treasure

Leonmarsh

Well not really sure how to list this one or price it

Dutch Silver rider ducaton or whats left of it, from the Vliegenhart shipwreck in 1735

http://www.oceantreasures.org/pages/content/famous-wrecks/the-dutch-v-o-c-vliegenthart.html

£140 plus post 

The coin itself is rare and commands around 300 plus in nice condition, I would grade this NGC AUS1 (about uncirculated seabed) 

Your buying a piece of history here

Now in hand with provenance pics and video added 

Screenshot_20220101_205952_com.ebay.mobile~2.jpg

Screenshot_20220101_210003_com.ebay.mobile~2.jpg

Screenshot_20220101_210010_com.ebay.mobile~2.jpg

Screenshot_20220101_210038_com.ebay.mobile~2.jpg

Screenshot_20220101_210031_com.ebay.mobile~2.jpg

Screenshot_20220101_210044_com.ebay.mobile~2.jpg

Screenshot_20220101_210016_com.ebay.mobile~2.jpg

Screenshot_20220102_125009_com.whatsapp~2.jpg

Screenshot_20220103_000741_com.android.chrome~2.jpg

Screenshot_20220103_000815_com.android.chrome~2.jpg

Screenshot_20220103_003035_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

Screenshot_20220111_172255_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

Screenshot_20220111_172311_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

Screenshot_20220111_172403_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

Screenshot_20220111_172343_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

IMG_20220111_172325.jpg

IMG_20220111_172353.jpg

IMG_20220111_172709.jpg

IMG_20220111_172718.jpg

IMG_20220111_172727.jpg

IMG_20220111_172738.jpg

Interested in authenticity of coin?

The certificate appears to be created by a company in St. Mary’s, Isles if Scilly under the name if T.J Hiron. Who is this guy Terry Hiron? He’s on LinkedIN apparently can’t find him yet. What’s the Provence? How did this guy get the coin? 

I get the impression a certificate could have been created by a diver (this TJ Hiron?)…

…But the boat went down off the coast of Zeeland in shallow water? A long way away, unless he was in Zeeland when he found it. 

Also does the state not own that coin? Do you need to get an official certificate via government agency if that’s the case? I am not versed in these matters and like the coin, hence I am asking. :) 

https://www.nytimes.com/1998/07/25/your-money/IHT-explorer-revels-in-wreckseeking-q-a-rex-cowan-from-solicitor.html

The site waa bought by rex cowan as with many shipwrecks peoplw buy the rights with 25% going back to dutch government

I understsnd that tj hiron owns a shop man o war but was also the site surveyor on the project is his main job coule always give the bloke a ring think his nunber is on the coa 

The other bloke was a diver on the site

Regarding condition im not sure as i wasnt under the sea with it but the reason for the ship sinking was on a sandbank so i suppose natural sandblasting has occured 

Re condition 

Sand or mud, acidity of the water, temperature and so effect the wear 

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2007/05/why-do-some-shipwreck-coins-last-longer-than-others.html

Should charge an extra 20 quid for all this research, best i can do chaps other than this i have no idea 

Hi Leon

From what I know (have read) neither of the certificate signatories were involved in the salvage. 

It is very different from the x2 examples in my collection from this wreck both in terms of detail and missing the reverse. 

Would you sell with a money back + grading fee guarantee if it turns out to be counterfeit?

Best

Dicker

Not my circus, not my monkeys

Hi dicker 

Wasnt the guy who signed it one of the divers as per pic 

I would refund the coin, as always stand by my coins not really my place to refund grading if someone decides to send it for grading 

Might call the number on the certificate if the guy is still around 

Not got it in hand yet so will be inteterting when it arrives 

How doesnit it differ in detail dicker? 

Screenshot_20220102_220302_com.android.chrome.jpg

Hi Leon

The Vligenhart sunk around just off of Zeeland (Holland).

The Hollandia and Association were wrecked off of the Scillies.

The books (these plus some privately published books) are excellent but I don’t think either of the people in the certificates dived the Vliegebhart. Not from what I have read in any case, but of course happy to be corrected    

In terms of detail its worth comparing to the 1834 with saltwater damage the one here which is very similar to one of the ones I have.  

https://www.londoncoins.co.uk/?page=Pastresults&searchterm=Netherlands+Ducaton+Rider&category=8&searchtype=1

Maybe a different mint? But no doubt very different.

Best

Dicker

Interesting read in the donwloadable doucment on mercury maube this caused the coin to be like this top of page 297

Screenshot_20220102_224229_com.google.android.apps.docs.jpg

19 minutes ago, LukeStacker said:

Perhaps send it for grading yourself, especially if you have others to send in. 

Not paying 40 quid for it to come back as AU details saltwater damage i can see that for free 

12 minutes ago, Leonmarsh said:

Coin auction of heslin and hiron divers 

Screenshot_20220102_223331_com.android.chrome.jpg

The account of their work on the Association is well worth a read. See Admiral Shovels Treasure by McBride and Larn. Don’t recall anywhere that the dived off of Holland. 

If there is a book / document on this it would be great to add to my library of treasure wreck recoveries.  

Archived