• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2002 shield back Sovereign

SamGibsonBJJ

Have to admit I do like the look of those - quite like the unusual/different when it comes to coins, so the sovereigns with the non standard designs on do appeal…

Like the 2002, 2005 & 2012 - and the 1989, but I know I’ll never have one of those! 😂 2022 looks nice too IMHO…

Have been eyeing up a 2002 half sovereign (or a 2005 or 2012) and they all seem to be just a bit above a ‘standard’ bullion sovereign in price 🤔 As to whether they  would be a good coin to have in the future? I’d say any gold coin will be good to have ☺️ at least it’ll preserve your wealth in the face of inflation, at best it’ll appreciate in value - seems a no brainer to me 😉

Will be getting some myself eventually, making do with some nice silver coins for now, then possibly sell & ‘level up’ to some of the yellow stuff.

And I’m a firm believer in ‘buy what you like’ - if it makes a few quid, it’s a bonus 😁👍

Bob

Have to agree with the colour thing - but the fact it’s a different design cancels that out for me 😊

And the fact a Victoria shield back would be more expensive!  Plus, I wouldn’t know a good one if I saw it (generic problem with older sovereigns for me) at least I know a packaged one would be in pretty good condition 😁

…and on the subject of packaging, that reminds me of a question I was going to ask - would removing such a coin from its original packaging and placing in a flip (gloved hands of course! 😏) affect its value in any way?

I have my 50ps in 2x2 flips, and the OCD side of my nature would want to put any gold coins in them too so they fit in my album 🤭😂

Wouldn’t dream of removing a Proof coin - but won’t have one of those anytime soon! - but a bullion one would seem acceptable to me…🤔

7 hours ago, Scootermuppet said:

Have to agree with the colour thing - but the fact it’s a different design cancels that out for me 😊

And the fact a Victoria shield back would be more expensive!  Plus, I wouldn’t know a good one if I saw it (generic problem with older sovereigns for me) at least I know a packaged one would be in pretty good condition 😁

…and on the subject of packaging, that reminds me of a question I was going to ask - would removing such a coin from its original packaging and placing in a flip (gloved hands of course! 😏) affect its value in any way?

I have my 50ps in 2x2 flips, and the OCD side of my nature would want to put any gold coins in them too so they fit in my album 🤭😂

Wouldn’t dream of removing a Proof coin - but won’t have one of those anytime soon! - but a bullion one would seem acceptable to me…🤔

I wouldn't chance a flip personally if you do though put it in a capsule then put that in a flip removes chances of it getting dinged up if someone later on flips through the album and means the coin can be removed from the album without touching it

Point taken - but trust me, no one will be flipping through the album, it’s just somewhere to store my coins. If I do show anyone, it’ll be me turning the pages 😁😂

I was more concerned with the physical removal from the original packaging - you’d think it wouldn’t make much (if any ) difference for bullion coins, so I thought I’d see what everyone thought?

Just planning ahead for when I get around to getting some gold 😁👍

3 hours ago, Scootermuppet said:

Point taken - but trust me, no one will be flipping through the album, it’s just somewhere to store my coins. If I do show anyone, it’ll be me turning the pages 😁😂

I was more concerned with the physical removal from the original packaging - you’d think it wouldn’t make much (if any ) difference for bullion coins, so I thought I’d see what everyone thought?

Just planning ahead for when I get around to getting some gold 😁👍

Gold is a slippery slope you go from I'm only buying low premium to ooo a goldback and on to premium sovereigns faster than you can think lol trust me I know 😅