• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Help required on a Silver medallion

Alex944

Hello Forum,

I picked up an interesting piece today, but I am not 100% sure on what it exactly is, so I was hoping you could shed some more light. For instance, I could not find it on Numista but that may be because I can't find the official name of this medallion.

It was made in 1964 by the BNU - Banco Nacional Ultramarino in Lisbon, as a commemoration of 100 years of overseas ''activities''. It weighs in at 65 grams and the composition is 0.925 silver.

Unfortunately the person in store did not speak english, and since I do not speak portuguese, I was unable to really ask any further questions, but it's definitely something out of the ordinary. Would any one happen to know some more info on this? For instance it's official name (numista page or something similar would be great) or mintage (not sure if thats the correct term for commemorative medallions)?

Any help is much appreciated. Pictures attached

All the best,

557B506A-5696-48BD-AC7F-1A24147CAF7A.jpeg

41697B2C-F734-45EE-B213-4BDEE4241547.jpeg

You seem to have most of it already.

There are a couple of these medallions in bronze for sale on ebay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/353755157110

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304204984798

These actually look like the same medallion as there is tarnishing over a sail in the same place.

Image 1 - Portugal Bronze Medal - Banco Nacional Ultramarino 1964 Approx. 81 MM (315) 

The silver version is seen here:

https://medalhasportuguesas.wordpress.com/2019/04/29/100-anos-de-actividade/

MC.1964.12.jpg

https://medalhasportuguesas-wordpress-com.translate.goog/2019/04/29/100-anos-de-actividade/?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=es&_x_tr_pto=nui

Notice the silver version is 50mm and the bronze version is said to be 80mm. So you can check whether it is silver or not.

Edited by sixgun

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

15 hours ago, sixgun said:

Notice the silver version is 50mm and the bronze version is said to be 80mm. So you can check whether it is silver or not.

Thank you for your input, i do appreciate it. It measures as 50mm in diameter so I’m quite sure it is the silver version

On 15/11/2021 at 09:16, Alex944 said:

Thank you @paolo  any idea on what a normal “mintage” would be of such medals? Contemplating if maybe reaching out to the BNU could give some more clarification. 

thank you for chiming in!

Usually it s quite limited, i would guess not more than 1000.

Just now, paolo said:

Usually it s quite limited, i would guess not more than 1000.

I dont think that bank exist anymore, maybe under a new name 

55 minutes ago, paolo said:

I dont think that bank exist anymore, maybe under a new name 

Thanks again for your information. I checked and the BNU was merged with a different national bank in 2001. Since I haven't been able to find any mintage figures, I reached out to the bank that they merged with and requested some more information. Apart from requesting the mintage number, I also asked how these medallions were distributed; whether or not they were gifts to clients or if they were available by purchase. I will update this thread once I receive their feedback.

Appreciate your help on this.