• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

A lot of coins....

I’ve recently bought this job lot of coins, shown here is a fraction of what I bought.

I hadn’t seen them before buying so it was a mystery what would be in there and I’ve had lots of fun going through them this evening.

Another member here suggested I make this a post of its own, so here it is.

Apologies for the poor photos as they’ve all be taken this evening.

What did I find?

I found mostly old pennies and some nice examples, Victoria, George V, Edward VII, George VI and Elizabeth. I also learned that the Victoria young head portrait was on the old pennies as late as the 1890’s.

I also lost count of the amount of th’repenny bits there are. No jokes needed. We all know what it rhymes with!!

I also found a nice 1948 quarter dollar and a few 1 Franc coins from 1945-1947 made from, Would you believe aluminium!! I thought they were plastic when I first picked them up. I can only imagine France was short of PM’s after 1945. No prizes for guessing why.

I did find some very nice George V Florins and three pence coins that I believe are 50% silver which I was pleased to find. 

There are many world coins both old and new which many I have no idea about.

The curiosity with this got the better of me and it’s quite enjoyable. My family however looked at me in bewilderment as I tipped them on the table ready to rummage. 😆

Anyway, there’s still a lot more to go through and if anyone is interested I’ll update the post with my ‘finds’. This is the first time I’ve ever bought a ‘job lot’ and it certainly makes a change from sovereigns, crowns and silver stacking.

(I'm wearing the gloves as some of these coins are a little grubby.)

51BD3A32-E9EF-4B35-B606-8924E833F4AF.jpeg

C0DC68AC-BBE0-4F3F-8CDE-4768B09025C6.jpeg

9CA2C762-542E-44CD-AD9D-597E56AA6494.jpeg

8EB3D067-346F-4B66-B4B1-757FFB933954.jpeg

61EEBC1F-589E-49CA-9D5E-C61D5DB43514.jpeg

18201B58-CA94-4CDE-A961-1212A1A12C42.jpeg

AF85F9CB-C16E-4B76-9E62-6729C451A6FA.jpeg

Edited by Foster88

Did you buy them on the forum buddy? 

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. They’re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, you’re never going to get a valid answer.” - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt.

If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this link https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454

9 minutes ago, HerefordBullyun said:

Did you buy them on the forum buddy? 

No, I bought them from an auction house. They were just listed as a large quantity of old coins.

I wasn’t as brave to bid for the 250kg’s of old pennies in the same auction. Imagine asking for a postage quote on that lot.

3 minutes ago, Foster88 said:

No, I bought them from an auction house. They were just listed as a large quantity of old coins.

I wasn’t as brave to bid for the 250kg’s of old pennies in the same auction. Imagine asking for a postage quote on that lot.

Thats a wise shout on the pennies but you never know there could of been a few rare ones that may of paid for the bid. Did you know what the pennies went for, just out of interest?

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. They’re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, you’re never going to get a valid answer.” - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt.

If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this link https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454

5 minutes ago, HerefordBullyun said:

Thats a wise shout on the pennies but you never know there could of been a few rare ones that may of paid for the bid. Did you know what the pennies went for, just out of interest?

That’s true. Imagine if someone found the illusive 1933 penny amongst them.

It was around £800 if I remember rightly.

This is certainly great fun which in itself may be worth it, but an inevitable question nevertheless needs to be asked: how do you think you did considering the cost of this lot and the value of individual coins? For some reason I always tend to assume these lots are never offered for less than they are actually worth, but maybe sometimes it's the other way round?

On 19/10/2021 at 08:18, CollectForFun said:

This is certainly great fun which in itself may be worth it, but an inevitable question nevertheless needs to be asked: how do you think you did considering the cost of this lot and the value of individual coins? For some reason I always tend to assume these lots are never offered for less than they are actually worth, but maybe sometimes it's the other way round?

It’s difficult to say if I’m honest as I still have many to sort through. I don’t really know what I have.

There’s a few 0.900 and 0.500 silver coins mixed in there, not many, but a few. I would say around 75% is copper, mostly old pennies.

I’ll update this post with what I find. 

Interested to hear what you end up with. I got my hands on a random box of 'old coins' someone localish was giving away found an 1890 Victorian crown in good condition and a silver 3 or 6 pence can't remember which it was now. The rest of the box was commemorative crowns and old base metal coins. There were just shy of £30 worth of £2 though and a few quids worth of foreign change. For free I just had to collect. I was obviously made up.