• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Swapping Brit's for Sov's?

KevjustKev

I've got some Brit's namely

3 x 1oz

2 x 1/2oz

5 x 1/4oz

2 x 1/10oz

Which I believe adds up to 169.51 grams. Now that is only the gold amount not adding in any premiums if I was to sell.

Now why, I hear you think, would I want to swap?

Couple of reasons, one I am becoming a collector of Brit's which I never really wanted to be and fear I will be willing to chase a coin rather than sticking to getting a good deal.

Two, even though Brit's are now 'in full swing' they still are now as well known as Sov's and not quite as easy to shift if needs be.

Of course being a Kev of very little brain, thought I'd ask you lot.

Type about this for a bit😁

Would not quarter ounce Britannias be almost as marketable as sovereigns, given the near equivalence in bullion value? And run of the mill sovereigns (I exclude the rarities etc. of course) have the disadvantage of wear and tear, whereas recent 1/4 oz Bs. ought to be in pretty decent nick. I say this  particularly because, as it seems to me, the sovereigns of Queen Victoria or, say, George V, even quite ordinary ones for date etc, and of averagely acceptable grade i.e Very Fine to near Extremely Fine, are becoming unpleasantly expensive for the average purchaser. By this I mean that, despite the decline in the bullion price of gold from its 2020 highs, this sort of 'old' sovereign is apparently commanding the same kind of price now as it did then. This is merely my impression from looking at auction prices or those on ebay (for the genuine article of course in the case of the latter).

I'd be very interested in the reactions of those more experienced and knowledgeable than I am to my hypothesis and impressionistic survey of prices, and I am happy to be corrected.

Of course, 2021 sovereigns would be the obvious solution for people like me, but personally I am deeply disenchanted with their colour.

If you sell your Britannia's and buy some sovereigns you'd just be losing some of the value in your gold bullion needlessly by spending money on the transaction costs.

They're both legitimate recognisable UK gold bullion and sell just as well as each other. 

Condition and coin size only really come into it when you go to cash out at the other end and there's always someone willing to buy it off you whether that be a dealer or private sale.

I think basically you're a collector at heart and collectors are always looking at fiddling about with their collections, where as in this instance you just want to treat these coins as bullion and put them away and forget about them.

Do what I did when I had this amount of coinage ready to swap into fiat - send or take to HGM and get paid instantly then shop around for sovereigns.
Alternatively are you valuing sovereigns higher ( certainly more desirable by your posting ) than your Brits in comparing fine gold ?

13 minutes ago, Pete said:

Do what I did when I had this amount of coinage ready to swap into fiat - send or take to HGM and get paid instantly then shop around for sovereigns.
Alternatively are you valuing sovereigns higher ( certainly more desirable by your posting ) than your Brits in comparing fine gold ?

Yes and no, the value of the gold is the same. Yet 'I need' a 1/2 oz 2019 Brit, which I wish to keep away from. Yes if I was to sell a I, 1/2, 1/4 and a 1/10 of all the same year in may well get more than spot. I don't wish to fall into the trap that has lead me to have 25+ guitars. However an oz of X is easier to keep...

Edited by tallthinkev

Nowt wrong with the idea , although what's to stop you deciding you need to collect sovereigns once you swap...👀 They're a right bugger for a date run in comparison 😁

25? Noice. Are you a brand boi or do you have some other collecting ethos?

3 hours ago, Liam84 said:

Nowt wrong with the idea , although what's to stop you deciding you need to collect sovereigns once you swap...👀 They're a right bugger for a date run in comparison 😁

A brand boi?

9 hours ago, Liam84 said:

Exactly what 'happened' to me. You start with a couple bullion Sovereigns. And before you know it you are collecting one from each periode, then try and complete some date runs. And before you know it you are paying hefty premiums for that particular branche mint oddity or that specific year..... 

Trust me, collecting Sovereigns is a B$%^&..... But I love them! ;) 

Having said all that: Yes always go for Sovereigns! 

P.S. Anyone have 1848, 1980, 1924 or 2007 Bullion Sovereigns? (See what I mean!!!)

9 hours ago, tallthinkev said:

A brand boi?

Some folk like to stick with one maker; Fender, Ibanez etc where some are just guitar fanatics and buy anything that's good.

I would have a wall covered in them, however I didn't improve past the occasional noodle ability wise so have a G400 Epiphone SG and an ART120 Ibanez (nice and play quite well but very firmly 'budget' guitars). Can't justify getting spendy until I commit to playing properly...

19 minutes ago, Liam84 said:

Some folk like to stick with one maker; Fender, Ibanez etc where some are just guitar fanatics and buy anything that's good.

I would have a wall covered in them, however I didn't improve past the occasional noodle ability wise so have a G400 Epiphone SG and an ART120 Ibanez (nice and play quite well but very firmly 'budget' guitars). Can't justify getting spendy until I commit to playing properly...

Like this?😁

wall.jpg

30 minutes ago, tallthinkev said:

Nashville Telecaster and Italia 12

Back on topic next?

Sorry...🤭

Do you not foresee an attachment to sovereigns should you start swapping out the Britannias? If you stuck to the cheapest decent bullion condition coins you can find once the swap is done and don't start paying attention to dates, monarchs etc it's not a bad idea. I do think the Brits should be almost if not as liquid as the sovereigns though, although the premiums sometimes tied up in them as they become fractional may validate your argument.