• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

At what point do you feel royal mint proofs are just to much??

I notice 1/4 proofs from the Royal mint are currently £650 - that is as near as matters a 100% premium to the gold. Was it always this high historically? 

We have some interesting coins coming and potentially an amazing year of releases with the upcoming platinum jubilee, Some eye watering premiums too. 

Special design proof sovereigns a no brainer , but even those probably dont have much scope left for appreciation going by what the pricing is likely to be. I appreciate some dont buy to flip and just want to carry on collections - To those people I ask, do you have a price thats just so high you would not pay it to keep the collection going??

regardless im keeping some cash free for 2022 releases:P 

The premium is one thing but then when you add in how bad the quality often is...  the coins really need to be a super safe bet to be worth bothering with. They release a lot I like but until they sort their sh!t out in terms of quality my money is going elsewhere. Its just not worth the price and potential headache of multiple returns to get something that is either worth having in a collection or actually possible to sell on for profit.

Edited by AppleZippoandMetronome

2 hours ago, AppleZippoandMetronome said:

The premium is one thing but then when you add in how bad the quality often is...  the coins really need to be a super safe bet to be worth bothering with. They release a lot I like but until they sort their sh!t out in terms of quality my money is going elsewhere. Its just not worth the price and potential headache of multiple returns to get something that is either worth having in a collection or actually possible to sell on for profit.

I agree totally about the whole issue on quality of royal mint proofs and the premiums that go with them, but the few in FDC condition will make them rare and be able to sell for profit. If everyone of their coins was a PF69-70 then profits would be a rare thing indeed and that would be great for collectors !

For me it when it hits a psychological barrier when Gold proof 50p’s hit a grand.    I was out. 

Also this is why I whinge like an old lady about the quality when you are paying 100%+ premium for a proof strike you have the right to be hyper critical.  If there’s any defect at all you might as well buy 2 bullion sovereigns for the price of a BU or proof. 

I sometimes find myself drifting into collecting modern proofs.

What swiftly makes me drift back out is flippers, ever increasing premiums and the need I seem to feel to have PF70s. All these things just sap the life out of collecting modern proofs for me

Sad but if it’s less than a 70 I just don’t want it, anything less than perfect with the prices they charge just won’t do for me 🤷‍♂️, and if buying from the Royal Mint it just isn’t good odds. Also I have nothing against flippers at all, I just don’t like getting involved with chasing premiums.

Edited by Shep