• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Is it worth buying Britannias?

HighlandTiger

If the VAT is deductible as a purchase cost against CGT, this can only apply if it was purchased within the UK and the appropriate VAT receipt kept?

As an enthusiastic eBay seller, I would always happily pay a little extra for Britannias/Eagles over Maples/Philharmonics/Noah's Arks etc. I see people pay consistently more for Brits / Eagles - both are very recognisable and extremely liquid.

The 2013/2014 Britannias are already commanding a small premium and it will be interesting to see if the 2015/2016's do the same as they become backdates.

Another thing going for the dimpled Brits is that they are good at hiding a multitude of production sins, which these days has to be a serious consideration, especially when purchasing for potential resale.

In conclusion, definitely worth buying Britannias for me.

These "experts" always say to buy whatever your country of residence is putting out, Eagles if you are in the US, Britannas if you are in the UK etc. which I am fine with only as long as the premiums are not massive.  I have worked out that for every foreign silver ounce coin I have bought, Nellies, Phillys etc. I have bought 4x more Britannias.

If the price goes truly mental, then I always planned on bulk weighing in of my Britannias and Ebaying the rest but I am living in hope of a price double up from my average ounce cost so I can weigh in half and regard the remaining half as "free".  All this currency collapse talk from the pumpers has convinced me it might be worth always holding some physical silver and gold no matter what.

You can offset loses against profits too.  Here is a link 

https://www.gov.uk/capital-gains-tax/losses

The bottom line is think what is your exit strategy, how many years unit then; now think what the country was like (research if you was not alive) --- years ago. Things can change tax can be increased decreased new taxes introduced taxes removed all at the Chancellors whim. 

My advise would be buy what you want.  

Archived