• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Gold coin advice - new member!

ethansky

i All, I have no experience with gold coins until I found out my father has paid substantial money for coins which I feel have little value other than their weight in gold. I have read this forum on other subjects and the advice appears fair and honest, so here goes...... here is the list of coins purchased! (Photos attached):

2019 - Apollo 11 50th Anniversary Coronation twin set 2 X 1/4 oz.

2020 Dunkirk 80th anniversary gold double sov.

QE2 2017 Gold sov.

2019 Q. Victoria 200th anniversary gold sov.

Set VE day 75th anniversary £5 coin

heroes of d day 75th anniversary gold sov set

2019 Queen Victoria double sov. 

2019 heroes of Utah beach gold double sov. Set

2020 EU departure 4 sided coin

i suspect these are not worth the value he paid however I maybe incorrect and would appreciate any advice on what best to do with these . many thanks ian

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

5.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

165807256_187659752950995_2158449969392267037_n.jpg

165865752_151305443555997_1669594980421935422_n.jpg

165897032_600345404255830_1778085387375783722_n.jpg

i would see if any of these kind ladies or gentlemen on here who collect gold proofs woukld give you a ball park figure for them and then you would know to keep or sell and if you sell, sell them on here, there are some good members on here who would advise and also members who would buy...

I'm more into silver and stacking.. but there is a wealth of expertise on here at your disposal

It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.

I'm by no means an expert but I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't get much more than spot for any of them, which is sad to say when I look at the premiums on these Hattons coins. 

You may get lucky on eBay with some of them but then you've got the fee's.

I hope I'm wrong but hopefully you can wrestle the phone off your relative 👍

Having had a further look on the website they offer a buy back on some of the ranges that actually has increased premiums again, so you could make a profit on some applicable ones. God knows how they manage that, they must convince some of the customers they have secured these especially and then flog them on again for another increased premium. 

Probably worth giving them a call and seeing if it applies to any of the ones you have. 

They are nice coins to own. 

But I think they will struggle to sell on the secondary market for the original purchase price.    Good advice above to see what they have sold for on eBay and what buy back deals are available.  

People can spend a lot of money when talking to ‘clever’ sales people down the ‘phone about gold and silver coins.  

Don’t rush to sell them and wait for the gold price to rise.

In my experience with great coins including commemoratives, proofs, boxed and certified you will only sell to a dealer at bullion value which is typically 97-98% of spot these days.
Selling privately if you can aim for 5% over spot you might find a buyer.
Sadly when selling you are unlikely to get a higher price but you can never tell.
Ebay and PayPal will take up to 14% from your selling price unless you receive a special selling offer from eBay.
Dealers and coin shops will list these sorts of coins at very high margins but that doesn't mean they will ever sell but someone with minimal knowledge might fall into the trap.

Archived