• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

MS69 slabbed vs. unslabbed

RacerCool

Let's say I purchase a coin.  It's nothing particularly special or rare or anything like that.  For example, a 2015 1 oz silver Libertad.  Let's say I bought an MS69 coin, graded and slabbed, because it happened to go for a reasonable price at auction, not because I wanted it graded and slabbed.  But I don't have a lot of storage room so I decide to remove it from the slab and put it in a regular capsule, then place it in a tube with a bunch of other coins.

Did I lose value by doing that?  Again, it's not a special coin.  It's just a bullion coin that got graded before I bought it.  Was removing it a bad idea?

I would say you wouldn't do the coin, nor yourself, any favours.
A bullion coin graded at MS69 is a very fine coin indeed and in most cases will will worth more than one in a capsule.

In the case of a proof coin, as a general rule, a PF69/PR69 is roughly worth the same as a raw coin, assuming no obvious marks.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

Assuming the price you paid for the it slabbed was roughly what one raw would have cost and you don't intend to hold long term - I don't see how it would matter.

@Chorlton I think hit the nail on the head of where it could matter though. In the future decent examples might be saught after as collectors go for date runs, etc. Long term you could lose out.

We all pay a premium on any coin we buy so I've always said it makes sense to keep those coins in as good condition as possible so that premium can be recouped come time to sell.

I have removed a few Sovereigns from slabs because A,  the grades aren't that great and B i never paid over the odds for it.  The only advantage i see of a slabbed low graded coin is the fact it shows it's a genuine item . A gold MS69 i wouldn't remove as that's a high grade. An encapsulated silver bullion MS69 on the other hand  wouldn't add much value i would think .

Archived