• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Light toning removal?

Stacktastic

On 14/03/2021 at 12:08, Wampum said:

Which might suggest Milking ,however the colour can be removed.     

Ok I got some acid and it’s removed most the colour. Looks like milk spots to me? Not a bad result I would say. Going to do it again on the one slightly coloured area. 

1A4A06BE-861B-4C5F-A1DE-76A62C635E81.jpeg

1CA2DF14-4BFD-4AA0-857D-D9FAE66E8053.jpeg

FA596E5E-0D7D-4F00-A3C4-7E555B5E43C8.jpeg

DAB4D6F6-445F-4581-BBC0-57B47632F2B4.jpeg

EFC47F5B-B5EE-4245-9BCC-DA2046756135.jpeg

4A50FCBA-1BD3-41EB-99A8-F4D8B2F31706.jpeg

E017C588-6A41-4C22-B399-93B1C3AE947E.jpeg

On 14/03/2021 at 04:57, Wampum said:

You can use a dip as Pete has said ,however this removes the very top layer of the coin, so you remove "the mint finish" ,try the foil method, but don't use salt as it can become a problem if not washed correctly.

Almost 100% this coin will turn out perfect with just a scalding hot dip----but wash off with acetone.

Below is a couple of picture's of damage "removed" ,However this is only eye level or eye clean. This was done with bicarb and foil.

P1200800 (2).JPG

P1210805 (2).JPG

Yup, I like the baking soda and aluminum foil method to remove toning.  Works good.

On 17/04/2021 at 15:47, Stacktastic said:

Ok I got some acid and it’s removed most the colour. Looks like milk spots to me? Not a bad result I would say. Going to do it again on the one slightly coloured area. 

That looks a lot better, the cleaning bath solution has worked well against what was on the coin. Doesn't seem to be very harsh on the coin which is really good.

On 18/03/2021 at 00:28, Bimetallic said:

@Petewhat the heck man? E-Zest? On bullion? Never, never, never use dips and polishes on bullion. Aluminum and baking soda reliably removes tarnish. Anything it can't remove you have to live with or consult a professional about. E-Zest is for spoons and platters and things you don't care about.

My introduction to e-Zest was in the USA of all places in a well known coin shop who used it by the gallon.
The label doesn't say for spoons etc --
This stuff works a treat at almost instantly removing silver tarnish unlike the bicarb / aluminium method which is more suited to spoons and platters and even then not 100% effective.
Some users of e-Zest have reported cleaning highly polished proof coins.
You only dip for a few seconds and immediately rinse in water and I've cleaned a few really grubby and blackened American Eagles to mint looking condition.
It DOES NOT remove milk spots unfortunately so I guess it is not damaging or removing the top  layer of the coin otherwise the milk spots and milk stains would also disappear.

1584676260_Screenshot2021-04-19at19_49_19.png.d0bf2bc522bd4134eb0b2ec7bc6eae99.png

33 minutes ago, Pete said:

My introduction to e-Zest was in the USA of all places in a well known coin shop who used it by the gallon.
This stuff works a treat at almost instantly removing silver tarnish unlike the bicarb / aluminium method which is more suited to spoons and platters and even then not 100% effective.
You only dip for a few seconds and immediately rinse in water and I've cleaned a few really grubby and blackened American Eagles to mint looking condition.
It DOES NOT remove milk spots unfortunately so I guess it is not damaging or removing the top  layer of the coin otherwise the milk spots and milk stains would also disappear.

1584676260_Screenshot2021-04-19at19_49_19.png.d0bf2bc522bd4134eb0b2ec7bc6eae99.png

Never tried eZest, but I hear it's a great product that many coin dealers use.   Currently have no need for it as the soda bicarb/aluminum foil suggestion works well for me.  May pick one up for future use if the soda bicarb/aluminum doesn't do the job.

1 hour ago, Wampum said:

That looks a lot better, the cleaning bath solution has worked well against what was on the coin. Doesn't seem to be very harsh on the coin which is really good.   

Yeah Im happy wioth that Im sure if you use a microscope you cold see difference, but I bathed it for 3 times for minute or so & its only taken off the colour. 

53 minutes ago, SilverStorm said:

Never tried eZest, but I hear it's a great product that many coin dealers use.   Currently have no need for it as the soda bicarb/aluminum foil suggestion works well for me.  May pick one up for future use if the soda bicarb/aluminum doesn't do the job.

This is what I use. £12 with postage - he seems to deal with stamps.
You can get one spcifically for a different metal. Will last me years. 

https://www.dauwalders.co.uk/coin-cleaning-fluid-146808-p.asp 

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Whoever told you to dip coins in sulfuric acid led you astray, and you're repeating the misinformation. Everything you said is false.

Aluminum foil and baking soda removes tarnish every time. If it doesn't, it's not tarnish (sulfur). In that case it's just something else.

Acid dips are a terrible, terrible thing to do to bullion coins. They strip the metal. Some coin dealers are idiots and don't know what they're talking about. If they're recommending dipping bullion in sulfuric acid, they don't know what they're talking about.

The preferred cleaning agent for bullion in rare circumstances is MS70, not acid dips like this EZest garbage. MS70 is alkaline.

If the OP toys with any more acid dips, he's going to ruin the coin. It can't be graded well – they'll know it was dipped in acid. Maybe grading isn't in the plans, but it's a bad habit to get into – don't eat away at your silver.

Archived