• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

1/4oz Britannia or a whole Sovereign?

LMT

Ah, I am debating this for my next order in a week or two. I was going to order another 1 oz, but will hold fire as I have a couple of these (and one should land this week also) and they aren't as easy to move / sell if I needed to (don't plan to but you never know).

Part of me says go for full sov's as I have some already and they are a nice coin and easy to shift if needed. The other part says 1/4 oz as it makes calculations easier, are full 24 ct and are also nice coins.

I will probably end up ordering sov's one month and then mixing 1/4 oz the next.  Aid the diversification and mix it up a bit for the excitement. Then every now and then when funds allow, purchase a 1 oz to throw in also.

I don't think you will lose with either in my opinion but probably better premiums on the sov's

I was very tempted by the 1/4 brit esp with the 24ct and I think it looks better, but in the end the cheaper sov won me over. 

I'm thinking of doing a similar thing and mix which I get each time for the diversity.

Thank you for the insight and advice :)

I would also suggest you think about what it is you are collecting / stacking for.

I have zero personal interest in numismatic coins.  So for me it's about paying as little additional premium as possible. I'm not into buying to flip later. I'm buying to leave extra to the kids out of surplus income.

Some coins will have additional (potential) future numismatic value and tend to carry a larger initial cost than bog standard bullion stuff I am collecting.

I've been collecting for a few years but last year I decided to start stacking. I have a relatively low budget low budget so started at the bottom with pre decimal. I am currently in the process of selling all of my 50,% coins and this should give me enough to get my first gold piece. I have been looking at the half ounce Britannia. I know it's more expensive than a sovereign but would like my first piece to be 24 carat after fighting my way up with junk coins. The biggest problem is finding one. 

Also my first silver coin was a Britannia.  

The 1/2 oz brit does look very cool. The hard work you have put it will make it even more worth it when you get one :) . I think bullionbypost and some others have 1/2 oz brits. 

Ditto, my first coin was a silver brit 2021. They look awesome.

Archived