• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Help with 1987 Gold Britannia

mr1030

While I was at my LCS today, he showed me a couple 1987 gold Britannias that he had bought from a customer.  They have some writing engraved on the obverse that I believe is chinese, but I'm not sure.  My dealer had never seen anything like this before and asked if I was familiar with them, which I was not.  I gave him my best guess that they were probably stamped after market for some type of celebration event?  If anyone here can read these markings, or has some experience with similar items, I would appreciate the input, which I will pass on to my dealer friend.  He did XRF the coins and they read correct gold content, 22k I believe he told me.

20210128_111640-ccfopt.jpg

The Chinese writing on the left:
金 = Jin = Gold (shorthand for 黃金 = Huang Jin = Yellow Gold)
The second character I can't make out, sorry.

紀念 = Ji Nian = Commemorate

The Chinese characters on the right hand side are two people's names.

My assumption is that they were stamped on to commemorate a wedding.

Also interesting is that they have used the 'traditional' Chinese characters (still in use in Taiwan, but in China they simplified the characters quite a long time ago).  Of course, it may be from China and because it was a special occasion they used the traditional characters.

29 minutes ago, Rickybacker said:

The Chinese writing on the left:
金 = Jin = Gold (shorthand for 黃金 = Huang Jin = Yellow Gold)
The second character I can't make out, sorry.

紀念 = Ji Nian = Commemorate

The Chinese characters on the right hand side are two people's names.

My assumption is that they were stamped on to commemorate a wedding.

Also interesting is that they have used the 'traditional' Chinese characters (still in use in Taiwan, but in China they simplified the characters quite a long time ago).  Of course, it may be from China and because it was a special occasion they used the traditional characters.

The second character is 赠 = Gift.

@mr1030 it basically meant this coin used to be a commemorative gift from the two person named on the right.

Omne aurum quod rex valūtās

A interesting piece indeed.

I read the chinese characters on the left side as 金婚紀念 - literal translation is gold wedding commemorate.

So it would appear to me that it is the couple's gift for their golden wedding anniversary. 👍

Edit: I would be very wary if offered this piece of gold.

I personally cannot see why their children or grand children would want to sell this piece of their family history.

It could have been obtained illegally from the family's residence i.e. stolen goods ! 

4 hours ago, Happypanda88 said:

I read the chinese characters on the left side as 金婚紀念 - literal translation is gold wedding commemorate.

this is also how I would read it.

husbands name might be ohm? kuo (bo, chuan) - 3 right most characters

wife's name chen yu (don't know the last character might be se) - middle 3 vertical characters

I'm mobile right now so have limited access.

HH

Archived