• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

How many folks stack precious metals?

adamantio999

On 27/08/2020 at 23:21, Robda1986 said:

I saw a YouTube video the other day where a guy offered people the choice between a 1oz silver dollar or a 5 dollar note the amount of people that chose the note was nuts he also tried giving away a 1oz gold coin to random people if they could get within 50% of spot value not one person knew the price of gold its crazy how blinded the general public has become 

That sounds unbelievable but then again it doesn’t surprise me.

On 27/08/2020 at 23:00, Booky586 said:

Take a look at this, the Germans lead the way in "Western countries" for stacking:

https://www.bullionstar.com/blogs/ronan-manly/the-vast-gold-hoards-held-germanys-population/#:~:text=Germans hold 4925 tonnes of,the form of gold jewellery.

The survey "found that an impressive 38% of German adults own physical investment gold in the form of gold bars or gold coins (26 million people)"

I happen to be German and no, these figures are far from the truth. Of the younger generation, let's say under 30 years of age, almost nobody owns any gold and especially no silver. One of the underlying reasons is that almost nobody knows how many industrial uses silver has. Was given the blank stare many times, including the family. But I still continued to give presents in form of gold and silver, now that the price has risen, somebody is happy. Germans do not think much outside the box, prefer to follow the herd and when they see long queues at the pm shops like recently then they think about ALSO buying gold etc and a few more stackers are born. 

The only reason i collect PM's is to make it harder to spend. I have no self-control when it comes to money - anything left in my bank account at the end of the month gets spent... I blame my upbringing (of course). That and the fact that i have made considerable profits long term (and by long term i mean 30 odd years of dabbling).

If i ever mention investing in PM to friends or family i immediately see the shutters come down and the subject changes to one more suitable for the masses. I therefore make it my mission to gift silver coins and bars to people for birthdays, weddings and such. I am considered eccentric.

So to answer the question - in my experience the number of people collecting PMs is somewhere between miniscule and tiny in the general population - there are, however, a goodly number of drug dealers and ne'er-do-wells who believe 'you're never poor if you have a sovereign'. 😁

Archived