• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Why are Some Stackers Selling Silver Now ?

Pete

I'm going to start ditching some of my silver too. I've started collections which I've decided not to continue so I see no point in me keeping what I've already collected.

HT - I have taken today to consider the pros and cons and although I would not personally use a bullion vault to hold gold (due to time frame), I think I am sold regarding silver. I have only about 5% of PM's in silver, the rest in gold, and most of my silver is what I would call collectable - mostly pre 1920 sterling silver coinage. I also have a couple of tubes of Britannia's I bought from Bullion by post at a huge premium last summer when I didn't know any better :lol: . I have been considering getting more into silver but battling the premiums, low buy back prices of dealers and the size/weight issue of keeping and moving a large holding has been putting me off.

As silver is looking very cheap right now (and definitely worth a punt) I had been toying with the idea of getting some low premium stuff from STG, purely to sell in a few of years once/if the price recovers. Over this time line, the extra cost vs convenience of the bullion vault is looking far more attractive than paying premiums and selling for under spot (with all the added hassle). If I lived in the US I would probably opt for physical, but as we have so many extra costs for physical in the UK, the bullion vault looks like a good alternative way to take a bet on the spot price. Once I have finished paying into my other plans I will be taking a look. 

HT - I have taken today to consider the pros and cons and although I would not personally use a bullion vault to hold gold (due to time frame), I think I am sold regarding silver. I have only about 5% of PM's in silver, the rest in gold, and most of my silver is what I would call collectable - mostly pre 1920 sterling silver coinage. I also have a couple of tubes of Britannia's I bought from Bullion by post at a huge premium last summer when I didn't know any better :lol: . I have been considering getting more into silver but battling the premiums, low buy back prices of dealers and the size/weight issue of keeping and moving a large holding has been putting me off.

As silver is looking very cheap right now (and definitely worth a punt) I had been toying with the idea of getting some low premium stuff from STG, purely to sell in a few of years once/if the price recovers. Over this time line, the extra cost vs convenience of the bullion vault is looking far more attractive than paying premiums and selling for under spot (with all the added hassle). If I lived in the US I would probably opt for physical, but as we have so many extra costs for physical in the UK, the bullion vault looks like a good alternative way to take a bet on the spot price. Once I have finished paying into my other plans I will be taking a look. 

My thoughts exactly regarding silver, all my "original" buys on bullion vault have been silver. The idea being that the GSR is so high, that silver is dirt cheap compared to gold. (I do hold a small amount of gold, but this is only due to a swap from silver to gold due to a favourable drop in the ratio). It has been sitting between 70 and 75 for about 9 months now 

However if the GSR drops to below 65, I will buy both gold and silver in equal cash amounts, (but again playing the GSR, as it fluctuates up and down on a weekly basis)

If the GSR drops below 55, I will just buy gold, but again I will swap out gold for silver if the ratio moves higher.

For me, it is all about manipulating the make up of my total stack, between gold and silver whenever I deem the GSR is favouring one metal over another. Price is not an issue with me at the moment, only increasing the numbers of ounces in my stack.

I have crunched a lot of numbers and looked at the historical fluctuations in the GSR, and I am aiming to use it to increase my ounce holding by a minimum of 10% per year, just by playing the GSR game. That may sound huge to many people, but the numbers don't lie, and can be done. 

It just means I have to follow the GSR on a daily basis, and jump in, whenever I can grab a few % swing. There has been a 5% swing in the last month alone, and an 8% in the 6 weeks before that. That means If I had swapped some silver for gold, and then back again, I could have increased the amount I had swapped, by over 5% in just the last 2-3 months. 

My thoughts exactly regarding silver, all my "original" buys on bullion vault have been silver. The idea being that the GSR is so high, that silver is dirt cheap compared to gold. (I do hold a small amount of gold, but this is only due to a swap from silver to gold due to a favourable drop in the ratio). It has been sitting between 70 and 75 for about 9 months now 

However if the GSR drops to below 65, I will buy both gold and silver in equal cash amounts, (but again playing the GSR, as it fluctuates up and down on a weekly basis)

If the GSR drops below 55, I will just buy gold, but again I will swap out gold for silver if the ratio moves higher.

For me, it is all about manipulating the make up of my total stack, between gold and silver whenever I deem the GSR is favouring one metal over another. Price is not an issue with me at the moment, only increasing the numbers of ounces in my stack.

I have crunched a lot of numbers and looked at the historical fluctuations in the GSR, and I am aiming to use it to increase my ounce holding by a minimum of 10% per year, just by playing the GSR game. That may sound huge to many people, but the numbers don't lie, and can be done. 

It just means I have to follow the GSR on a daily basis, and jump in, whenever I can grab a few % swing. There has been a 5% swing in the last month alone, and an 8% in the 6 weeks before that. That means If I had swapped some silver for gold, and then back again, I could have increased the amount I had swapped, by over 5% in just the last 2-3 months.

I personally don't have the time, patience, or inclination to do this, but I do see how you can make this work in your favour.

No real selling here. I can see on balance buying for another year or so and then holding for a while. I certainly would not sell bullion silver at these prices but I can see an argument for selling or trading semi Numi silver.

I did have some silver in bullion vault but decided to liquidate it when I saw the price was on the slide. The issue for me ironically is the very fact allocated PM's are very easy to withdraw in the form of cash. With a physical stack, it is more hassle to sell and this helps me keep my savings as I don't withdraw but only add to it.

“Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” Oscillate Wildly

• 2 weeks later...

I dont think I have ever sold any physical silver, and certainly wouldn't while the price is so low, just as I wouldnt buy it if I thought it was getting expensive. I've done a couple of swaps but when I buy coins, I always get enough to allow for the odd swap. The only silver I have ever actually sold was after buying some allocated, I sold it to buy allocated gold instead.

Now, I like to spread the risk a bit and whenever I buy some physical metal, I get some allocated too. 

Archived