• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Ebay Armchair Experts

Shep

Really hacked off.

Sold an 82g Sterling Silver 1990 Queen Mothers 90th Birthday Commemorative Medal for very little over spot (£37 after fees and post).

Despite its saying clearly on the COA that its sterling silver ive had some clown asking for a refund stating the following:

"This is not 82g Sterling silver = 2.43 Troy oz of fine silver. It is Alloy 925 and only 2.43 Fine Silver Content and not 2.43 troy oz of fine silver as advertised".

Obviously completely unaware that 925 silver is sterling silver 😐.

Subsequently I’ve discovered they are quoting directly from an old @ChardsCoinandBullionDealer @LawrenceChardwebsite. https://24carat.co.uk/1990queenmothers90thbirthdaymedallion.html

Due to this website being less than 100% explicit, this guy is now thinking that ive sold him a piece of Nickle 925 alloy or some such nonsense, resulting in my paypal being frozen.

Really makes you think twice about selling on Ebay.

It gets even better! The buyer has claimed the item is not as described before he has even taken delivery of it, its still in the postal system!

34 minutes ago, Shep said:

Really hacked off.

Sold an 82g Sterling Silver 1990 Queen Mothers 90th Birthday Commemorative Medal for very little over spot (£37 after fees and post).

Despite its saying clearly on the COA that its sterling silver ive had some clown asking for a refund stating the following:

"This is not 82g Sterling silver = 2.43 Troy oz of fine silver. It is Alloy 925 and only 2.43 Fine Silver Content and not 2.43 troy oz of fine silver as advertised".

Subsequently I’ve discovered they are quoting directly from an old @ChardsCoinandBullionDealer @LawrenceChardwebsite. https://24carat.co.uk/1990queenmothers90thbirthdaymedallion.html

Due to this website being less than 100% explicit, this guy is now thinking that ive sold him a piece of Nickle 925 alloy or some such nonsense, resulting in my paypal being frozen.

Just proves - the "WALLIE'S" are coming out of the woodwork (bit like woodlice!)

They KNOW nothing about what they are dealing with - and YET professing to be "SPERT's

Definition of "EXPERT" = 

1) X = an unknown quantity!

2) SPERT = drip under pressure!

Minions GIF

2 hours ago, Shep said:

Really hacked off.

I'm sorry you found a slight deficiency with that page on our almost pre-historic site, set up in 1998.

It does actually contain the correct information, although I found and corrected a few problems on the page, so thank you for the mention, and the feedback.

Unfortunately, I don't think I can help much with the rest of the problem. Through long experience, I have concluded there is no cure for human stupidity, and don't forget 50% of the world's population have an IQ of 100 or less.

Ebay pumps out loads of propaganda a.k.a. bullshit telling you how good ebay is, how safe, etc. I didn't use to be quite so cynical, but I have become much more so. This helps to ensure that it attracts the most stupid elements to use it. We did once! (Actually we still do , but only for a select range of items, and our ebay prices are always much higher than direct prices/

Apart from ebay jacking up it's selling fees, it has shifted its whole ethos many times over the years, and now seems to be on the side of the buyers (after itself of course), and treats sellers as third class entities, unless you happen to be a Power Seller or whatever it calls its biggest sellers nowadays.

You would probably have done better selling you medallion on TSF, and you could ask your buyer so return it for a refund, as we would be happy to buy it. 

It should not really have to be your job to educate your customers, although I have been trying to do just that for many years, with only partial success.

One of my mantras to our team is to try to make things idiot-proof, but there are always a few people out there who can beat our best attempts.

Also on ebay, sellers don't really get much chance to veto their buyers in advance.

I hope this helps, at least slightly.

Chards

2 hours ago, Shep said:

Really hacked off.

If you care about his education, you point him to this Wikipedia page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sterling_silver

Chards

1 hour ago, LawrenceChard said:

I'm sorry you found a slight deficiency with that page on our almost pre-historic site, set up in 1998.

I wasn’t aiming my frustration at you and completely agree that the page contained the correct information, this buyer appeared unable to interpret it correctly. 
Unfortunately your site appears to be one of the only sources of information on this medal. I must say I really appreciate the fact that you have taken the time to make those additions, thank you. 

Hopefully this buyer will take a second look.

1 hour ago, LawrenceChard said:

You would probably have done better selling you medallion on TSF, and you could ask your buyer so return it for a refund, as we would be happy to buy it. 

Unfortunately this medallion was scratched to death and was only fit for selling as scrap (was pictured and described to reflect this).

17 minutes ago, Shep said:

I wasn’t aiming my frustration at you and completely agree that the page contained the correct information, this buyer appeared unable to interpret it correctly. 
Unfortunately your site appears to be one of the only sources of information on this medal. I must say I really appreciate the fact that you have taken the time to make those additions, thank you. 

Hopefully this buyer will take a second look.

Unfortunately this medallion was scratched to death and was only fit for selling as scrap (was pictured and described to reflect this).

You could also direct him to this forum topic, although he might assume I meant him when I mentioned idiots!🙂

Chards

Archived