• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

STACKING 2020 issue coins for the future

Paul

H all

I cant recall it being mentioned thus far but think this is worthy of discussion

We all know 2020 has been a funny old year thus far.

Corona virus, society lock down, gold raises in fiat up massively, job security worries, decreased sales, problem in PM supply chain worldwide, people having less available disposable investable cash, people out of or without work

With all these reasons, i am thinking a few years ahead 

Will there be an increased demand £ for issues from this year, 2020 ?

Is it worth isolating the smallest mintages for this year?

Is it worth just looking to pin point this year, and only buying this years while they are still readily available ?

Smallest sized coins 1/10 and 1/20 paused in production in favour of bigger boy bars/coins, some small mintages will now be tiny 

What would be your own picks to hold onto from 2020 ?

What unique coins have came out thus far in 2020 that may have upside in years to come ?

Anyone have thoughts, views opinions on this subject?? :) 

I think its going to be hard to predict. It stands to reason that prices will be higher in the future if mintages have been affected. There are certainly signs that mintages have so far been affected but they still have just under 6 months to make up for this so its questionable whether this will still be the case come the years end. I think the mintages also have to be dramatically lower in order to make any real difference. The 1997 Canadian maple fetches 2 to 3 times the value of any other maple because its mintage was 100970 versus the many millions they'd normally mint. Unfortuantely we won't know how many coins were minted in 2020 so its a punt. If they could be got at a reasonable amount of money its probably worth taking the punt. If silver prices normalise I'll probably do so.

The one thing I will say is people should do their best to avoid what are clear money grabbing scams like those emergency labelled silver eagles. I think its more likely what has happened will be used to market rip off products to people who don't know any better and that is where I see the "opportunity" ending.

EDIT - just adding...  small mintages don't necessarily make a valuable coin. I think we see that with how the Queen Music Legends 2oz silver proofs have done. You can sell them for a profit if you bought from the Royal Mint but people by and large don't seem to care that they exist and there were only 500 made. I think there is an over saturation of so called semi numismatics that sell for silly money over spot and will be worth all of spot price in 10 years when people have moved on and don't care. The stuff thats worth focusing on - IMO - is the tried and tested stuff people will want a date run of.

Archived