• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

A question on importing constitutional silver

Neuri0n

Hey guys, 

Hoping you can help. I'm looking to pick up some junk silver from the US but I'm not sure if I'd be stung with any costs outside of the regular shipping. Would it make a difference if one of my buddies out there bought it and sent it on my behalf or am I going to have to pay import fees regardless? 

Never bought silver from outside of Europe and I'm a bit clueless about it. 

Thanks for your time

Jacob

Hey

I get stuff shipped from outside the EU quite often and you will most likely be hit by import fees (plus the delivery companies standard fee which is usually around £12). You could always be dishonest with what is being shipped, but there are risks with that and don't forget if you lie about the value and the coins are lost in the post, then you won't be covered. What they do often now is if they look at the package and don't believe the value they will estimate a true value and charge you based on that. You can fight this, but if the value on the import sheet is false, you don't have a leg to stand on.

Small amount of coins often go through without fees, but if you do get hit with the £12ish fee, this will be a higher percentage cost.

I think it is best to factor the import fees into the cost, if you get hit its "normal" and if you don't then you have "won". 

Andrew

9 hours ago, Yetiwatch said:

Hey

I get stuff shipped from outside the EU quite often and you will most likely be hit by import fees (plus the delivery companies standard fee which is usually around £12). You could always be dishonest with what is being shipped, but there are risks with that and don't forget if you lie about the value and the coins are lost in the post, then you won't be covered. What they do often now is if they look at the package and don't believe the value they will estimate a true value and charge you based on that. You can fight this, but if the value on the import sheet is false, you don't have a leg to stand on.

Small amount of coins often go through without fees, but if you do get hit with the £12ish fee, this will be a higher percentage cost.

I think it is best to factor the import fees into the cost, if you get hit its "normal" and if you don't then you have "won". 

Andrew

Good to know, thanks for that Andrew. 

Can someone send an item as a gift and put a nominal value on it to get it through that way? 

Mox Metals Logo Small.jpg  moxmetals.co.uk

Ethically sourced, 100% recycled .999 silver bars & other precious metal coins, bars and collectables.

(Mox, crowned The Silver Forums number one hairy chest in the Northwest - as voted for by @CazLikesCoins, a lady who's seen more than her fair share, allegedly...)

I was wondering something similar earlier if I purchased something form Hong Kong. If I knew somebody there who repackaged it, say for a small fee, then sent it on?

Mox Metals Logo Small.jpg  moxmetals.co.uk

Ethically sourced, 100% recycled .999 silver bars & other precious metal coins, bars and collectables.

(Mox, crowned The Silver Forums number one hairy chest in the Northwest - as voted for by @CazLikesCoins, a lady who's seen more than her fair share, allegedly...)

3 minutes ago, Mox said:

I was wondering something similar earlier if I purchased something form Hong Kong. If I knew somebody there who repackaged it, say for a small fee, then sent it on?

Probably would work, might not, but if its all done for the simple reason to avoid paying the correct tax (whatever that may be) then its illegal, its tax evasion whichever way you look at it. If its genuinly a gift, novelty item etc etc then thats what it is and nothing to worry about either. Same as lots of things, CGT for example, it relies to a degree on you being honest, if you're not you might never get caught or you could get pulled up the next day - only you can decide if its worth it 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

Archived