• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Is it worth stacking pre 1947 British silver coins

Dean100

4 hours ago, Russell said:

The spot price is moving that is what I am referring to.  I just posted on the deals thread that I bought a 1kg casting bar of silver from Baird in London 3 weeks ago for a total including VAT and delivery for £496.  This morning I did a fake buy for the same bar and it is now £530.  Same with junk silver pre 1947 are 0.5 % silver if spot moves up to twice its posiiton now then it is all relative 🙂

Do you think silver prices will increase in the years to come let's say 5 years?

On 26/04/2020 at 08:35, tallthinkev said:

Half Crowns, stacked over 120, 50% so far. Some you can get lucky with as they can count as numismatic, meaning a few quid extra.

Is £2.50 per scrap  half crown and £1.85 per florin too much?

When I first started I bought a decent weight of 'scrap' silver 2014-2015, I bought the tubes to keep them, kept a spreadsheet working out how much each coin was worth as scrap and what my maximum bids should be (premium I was willing to pay). It was very fun but getting a good deal was few and far between. In the end it turned into a sterling silver crown collection and I sold the rest, did alright and made a little profit from them. 

Its not a bad way to stack silver if you can find the coins for low enough premium. 

Edit to add - I only bought .925 sterling silver coins nothing after 1919.

1 hour ago, Dean100 said:

Do you think silver prices will increase in the years to come let's say 5 years?

Yes :D

Edited by KDave

1 minute ago, tallthinkev said:

For complete scrap, it's not too bad at all. In fact that is 'rip their arm off time' it's under spot.

Thanks alright then, been buying very worn coins more florins than anything,  managed to get loads of worn  sixpences 3 for £1 

1 hour ago, Dean100 said:

Yes. I look at it this way. Set a goal that you are willing to sell for and stick to it. Buy for X sell at Y and if you can make Z % you have done well

2 minutes ago, KDave said:

When I first started I bought a decent weight of 'scrap' silver 2014-2015, I bought the tubes to keep them, kept a spreadsheet working out how much each coin was worth as scrap and what my maximum bids should be (premium I was willing to pay). It was very fun but getting a good deal was few and far between. In the end it turned into a sterling silver crown collection and I sold the rest, did alright and made a little profit from them. 

Its not a bad way to stack silver if you can find the coins for low enough premium. 

Edit to add - I only bought .925 sterling silver coins nothing after 1919.

Yes :D

Not had loads of luck getting cheap pre 1920 coins, managed a while back to get 30 pre 1920 silver threepences not too bad I guess

Just now, Dean100 said:

Not had loads of luck getting cheap pre 1920 coins, managed a while back to get 30 pre 1920 silver threepences not too bad I guess

I found I had more luck if buying by weight - occasionally you get an auction for pre-1920's silver and it usually bids to spot plus a premium depending on whats in the pictures.

Something I found was that I had my maximum bid price based on spot silver, but then the coins when weighed would be worn to the point that I had paid much higher premiums for the weight of silver, if that makes sense. That is why I gave it up in the end and bought bullion for weight, but I kept the crown collection going.

15 minutes ago, KDave said:

I found I had more luck if buying by weight - occasionally you get an auction for pre-1920's silver and it usually bids to spot plus a premium depending on whats in the pictures.

Something I found was that I had my maximum bid price based on spot silver, but then the coins when weighed would be worn to the point that I had paid much higher premiums for the weight of silver, if that makes sense. That is why I gave it up in the end and bought bullion for weight, but I kept the crown collection going.

I'd only buy pre 1947 at spot or below as the coins I buy are worn, I do have a 1 oz 2020 Britannia  and a 2oz canada coin with george v on. May get more in the future if the price is right. Never took them out of capsules so shouldn't tarnish much I hope.

3 hours ago, Dean100 said:

I think silver will take off within 2 years.  Watch for gold hitting $2500 - $3500 and that tells you the rich are flocking there for a safe haven.  At that pont people start looking seriously at the value of Silver and they will notice the ridiculous valuation it has now 123:1 Gold Silver ratio and that is the highest in all of history.    This is why I started buying it 5 weeks ago.

I am not an expert and the statements I put out are my own reasons for buying silver.  I do advise people do their own research.

Edited by Russell

• 1 year later...

I  have 1980's electronic devices.  In 1990 I was skint and tried to sell one for way under 'spot'. I could not give it away. Now they are worth ~£2k and sell in seconds. 10 years ago they were a fraction if this price.  I think this is why I have the pre-47 buying mindset I have.  It is a coin hobby, I like them and they are not that pricy for me even if over the current spot.  I know it is a risk but as others have said, but silver may be undervalued and demand is set to increase. If they value is being artificially held low, then there may be a time that the price suppression is breached and I will have something of value.  However, will we have anyone to sell to then (individual to individual) if disposable income declines?  I do wonder if scrap might be the main option then.

I don't see this a flipping opportunities but longer haul.

But what do I know? I am a noob.

Edited by Widsith

I obtained a 1900, Bombay minted, British silver trade dollar with COA from Baldwin's on the Strand yesterday. £150. They have at least four left. I would consider this scrap, the silver content is only ninety? percent and the coin is weathered. I wanted it for this reason, the circulated authenticity and historical concept. I am only a new collector and only collect as a hobby. I do believe the price of silver will escalate and see it's speculative financial value independent of gold. If I only bought silver to resell it then I would think anything less than pure silver would not cut it.

Edited by Shell
Error in text