• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Which US coin to go for?

silvernewbie

Hi

just looking for some advice, im looking at low premium coins to add to my stack and have no US ones.  There not much in it price wise so im looking at which coins are most in demand when coming to sell.  The 1804 Silver round coin is sightly cheaper than the eagle or walking liberty.  

Or should i just stick to brits or add some philharmonics? 

1 troy oz silver 1804 SILVER ROUND   

https://goldsilver.be/en/1-oz-30-gr/277-1-troy-oz-silver-snake-2013.html

1 oz silver US EAGLE $1 DIFFERENT YEARS 

1 oz silver WALKING LIBERTY 1916

https://goldsilver.be/en/1-oz-30-gr/262-1-oz-silver-walking-liberty-1916.html

50 minutes ago, CadmiumGreen said:

If you went with a US mint coin, stick with a 1 oz ASE. But they do have a slightly higher premium, from what I have experienced here in the US, as compared with a random 1 oz Britannia.  

Exactly this.  The American Silver Eagle is really your best bet.  The premium is a small price to pay for recognizability.

The 1804 silver round will not be taken as seriously as it's not government minted bullion.

I would also say that U.S. "90% junk silver" is a decent alternative option if you can't get ASE for whatever reason. This includes dimes, quarters, and half dollars pre-1965.  They can be obtained for a lower premium, but that will likely come back to bite you when you try to sell.

I like US "junk silver" as the member above suggested for low premium silver coins. You can pick them up usually at or under melt. I believe the premium on junk silver is at historical lows as this too fluctuates with demand. I also like the America The Beautiful 5 ozt coins. They seem to have a chance of collectible status down the road and can be purchased for around the same premium as Silver Eagles when they are released. I believe most stores will pay a bit more for Silver Eagles vs Britannia's, which I assume is a consideration. 

Personally I like "junk silver" as well. Especially Mercury and Roosevelt Dimes. I am really hoping for a tariff free zone between US and UK - would place a big order at Apmex right away.

In the meantime, I keep stacking UK capital gains tax free silver. Who knows - maybe one day JP Morgan will lift all of their paper short contracts and silver might skyrocket. Don't intend to pay any taxes on my profit in that scenario. Sometimes I still pick up some US junk silver on Ebay when it is reasonably priced just for diversity and in the hopes to get some coins with a missing mint mark or double mint mark or other variety that I could send to NGC.

Thanks i will go for the eagle, where can i find us junk silver online, ebay only has us sellers ie custom charges? 

Added 0 minutes later...
1 hour ago, tallthinkev said:

I got quite a few ASE's that I am going to be selling in the coming months, a lot of different dates. might want to keep an eye out.😁

Will it be under £16 an oz?

1 hour ago, silvernewbie said:

Thanks i will go for the eagle, where can i find us junk silver online, ebay only has us sellers ie custom charges? 

Added 0 minutes later...

Will it be under £16 an oz?

PM and we maybe able to work something out

Don't forget to take into consideration how your getting out of silver someday. Taxes matter as do local source of buyers to buy your silver for a fair price. I say that not knowing the tax ramifications of a person in England selling Britannia's vs Silver Eagles vs just ounces/lbs of silver, down the road for you.

BTW- I think the Britannia are far more beautifully than US Eagles. And I live in the US. Also love the Britannia bars, not currency but sovern and that matters as it adds legitimacy to it.

Archived