• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

1/10 Britannia or Half Sovereign

Timmo365

10 minutes ago, AaaGee said:

Double sovereign or 1/2oz?

Big coins are lovely, nice to have them, but when you want to sell them can be tricky. 

Between your two options, probably I would buy 1/2oz if it is very close to spot price. If not and if we are talking about 5%-7% over spot a double sovereign.

I do like a double sovereign and will get the 2023 Charles III next year. As its the 1st of a new monarch. And i have the 2022 already.

But you make a good point. Im probably following my heart rather than my head. So will probably stick with normal sovereigns and 24ct gold after that.

An example of the power of 1/10th coins...

DSC00535.thumb.JPG.467cd87b19bb62488404bdd768c36643.JPG

... if I hadn't bought a small selection of 1/10th gold Brits along my stacking journey, I'd never have saved enough cash to buy this beauty outright.

Traded up via the forum for some 1/10th gold brits, some 1oz silver bullion and a little cash. When I worked out what I'd paid overall for the traded up items, I bought the coin at a very reasonable premium too! 😉

If all you can afford is bullion 1/10th's (or Half Sovs for that matter) then go for it - they are pretty easy to liquidate IMHO, and yes you may pay a higher premium, but that carries through to the Trade / Sale when the time comes if you buy wisely.

A friend who bought and sold Cars summed it up perfectly "You make your profit when you buy, not when you sell" - in other words buy at the right price and you should be able to preserve the value of your cash at the other end and maybe even make a little profit.

I personally don't stress over 'percentage over spot' - I may have paid a little higher premium for the odd coin, but overall, my stack is worth more now than when I bought it... and isn't that the point? 😏

1 minute ago, Scootermuppet said:

An example of the power of 1/10th coins...

DSC00535.thumb.JPG.467cd87b19bb62488404bdd768c36643.JPG

... if I hadn't bought a small selection of 1/10th gold Brits along my stacking journey, I'd never have saved enough cash to buy this beauty outright.

Traded up via the forum for some 1/10th gold brits, some 1oz silver bullion and a little cash. When I worked out what I'd paid overall for the traded up items, I bought the coin at a very reasonable premium too! 😉

If all you can afford is bullion 1/10th's (or Half Sovs for that matter) then go for it - they are pretty easy to liquidate IMHO, and yes you may pay a higher premium, but that carries through to the Trade / Sale when the time comes if you buy wisely.

A friend who bought and sold Cars summed it up perfectly "You make your profit when you buy, not when you sell" - in other words buy at the right price and you should be able to preserve the value of your cash at the other end and maybe even make a little profit.

I personally don't stress over 'percentage over spot' - I may have paid a little higher premium for the odd coin, but overall, my stack is worth more now than when I bought it... and isn't that the point? 😏

You have the right idea! I have more 1/10ths and halves than full sovereigns. Usually the problem is that I get impatient and can’t wait and save to buy sovereigns, have to buy, so get the smaller stuff or silver. Although, if lucky and something doesn’t get scooped up on here immediately, then quite often the price drops and a quick swoop is required! Even a fiver here and there makes a difference.🤔🫢🎄

1 minute ago, Petra said:

You have the right idea! I have more 1/10ths and halves than full sovereigns. Usually the problem is that I get impatient and can’t wait and save to buy sovereigns, have to buy, so get the smaller stuff or silver. Although, if lucky and something doesn’t get scooped up on here immediately, then quite often the price drops and a quick swoop is required! Even a fiver here and there makes a difference.🤔🫢🎄

It certainly does! Postage can be a bit of a pain, but even taking that in to account, overall, I'm still up ☺️

And having been on the forum for a while, if an established member is selling what I want, I would pay them for it and ask them to hold and then send as a package when I buy something else from them. It's always worth reaching out to sellers and asking if they have other items you'd like and if they would bundle together for postage purposes - I know I would if asked.

I have had a few items on 'hold' with sellers too - they were kind enough to hang on to the item until an invoice came in (handy when you're self employed!)

@stefffana agree with lots of different countries with 1/10 oz but depending on collection and intent not good for CGT.

@Petra I also feel your pain, have all the intention of saving up for bigger coin but then, oww shiny and end up buying smaller coin with a higher premium, as you say though not too fussed as the premium carries over on sale.

Interesting hearing peoples point if views though.

1 minute ago, AaaGee said:

I suffer from self restraint aswell 😄.

Trying to save 1.5k to buy an oz of gold has been beyond me. Going to try for one next year once ive got what is already on my shopping list for 2023.

I have said this more than once 🤦‍♂️but then new shiny appears. Good luck with it though. I think an important aspect is still that you enjoy doing the collection in the first place, or at least it is for me.

I definitely enjoy it. Ive a mate who stacks who i see every Saturday. We have a good chat about whats out there, what we've got and what we want. Certainly helps to be able to talk to someone who does it as well. Being as its something we do and cant shout about it from the roof tops.

We call it Gin Saturday for obvious reasons 😄