• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

1/4 oz Maples

Melon

Hello good people of the Silver Forum! 

Question for you - for bullion coins like the 1/4 oz Maples mentioned in the title, is there much point in putting them in air tights etc? Given they don't tarnish and for most people they'll live in a safe, is there any benefit? Will fingerprints and exposure to the air do actual damage to the gold value, or is it fine to just let them live in a fabric bag? 

2nd question for you - if the recommendation on above is to stop being silly and protect them, is anyone aware of a tube that will hold the 1/4 oz Maple nicely? Are air-tights still a must if it's in a tube or can they just got in the tube bare? 

Thank you for your advice :)

43 minutes ago, Melon said:

Question for you - for bullion coins like the 1/4 oz Maples mentioned in the title, is there much point in putting them in air tights etc? Given they don't tarnish and for most people they'll live in a safe, is there any benefit? Will fingerprints and exposure to the air do actual damage to the gold value, or is it fine to just let them live in a fabric bag? 

2nd question for you - if the recommendation on above is to stop being silly and protect them, is anyone aware of a tube that will hold the 1/4 oz Maple nicely? Are air-tights still a must if it's in a tube or can they just got in the tube bare? 

You should keep your coins in the best condition you can. Put them in a flip or capsule. The better the condition, the easier they will sell.

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

23 minutes ago, sixgun said:

You should keep your coins in the best condition you can. Put them in a flip or capsule. The better the condition, the easier they will sell.

Ah but I can tell from your profile picture that you, like me, want to just hold the treasure in your hands! Arrr! 

I just can't help but wonder for bullion coins will it really matter? 

5 minutes ago, Melon said:

Ah but I can tell from your profile picture that you, like me, want to just hold the treasure in your hands! Arrr! 

I just can't help but wonder for bullion coins will it really matter? 

The better the condition, the easier a coin will sell, however the likes of circulated sovereigns which have been through many hands could be fondled with bare hands. 

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

1 hour ago, Melon said:

1/4 oz coins aren’t the typical Stacker coins - most have higher premiums than sovs for example. I would maintain condition if possible and avoid scratches or marks. Like @sixgun says condition makes them easier to sell. Of course if you plan on just selling to traders who will never pay you the premium then don’t bother. 

Personally I put everything in protection, even if already marked. Only circulation Silver which will never have any numismatic value goes in tubes.

New Forum Sponsor! See Items for sale here  Also on Instagram: Bargain Numismatics 

30 minutes ago, ilovesilverireallydo said:

1/4 oz coins aren’t the typical Stacker coins - most have higher premiums than sovs for example. I would maintain condition if possible and avoid scratches or marks. Like @sixgun says condition makes them easier to sell. Of course if you plan on just selling to traders who will never pay you the premium then don’t bother. 

Personally I put everything in protection, even if already marked. Only circulation Silver which will never have any numismatic value goes in tubes.

Yea makes sense I guess. I've got some due and will make up my mind when I see it I guess :)

Maple 1/4 oz going for like 2% over spot at the moment, seems a pretty good price!

Most bullion coins come in flips if buying from a dealer, I wouldn't go to town and just keep in those. If you were to sell a maple etc on here you would get around spot regardless. 

I seem to remember you were buying 1oz for your initial purchase? How are you storing those?

“Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” Oscillate Wildly

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Most bullion coins come in flips if buying from a dealer, I wouldn't go to town and just keep in those. If you were to sell a maple etc on here you would get around spot regardless. 

I seem to remember you were buying 1oz for your initial purchase? How are you storing those?

Good memory. I had the first two 1oz coins in the UK lunar series. I sold them a good while back though - circumstances demanded I’m afraid. Made a tidy profit on them but looking at today’s price, not so much! 

That’s one of the reasons I’m wondering now about storage. I kept those pristine in capsules, never once daring to get a fingerprint on it. When time came to sell, first thing that happened once price was agreed was the buyer popped them out of the capsule bare handed to check them over. Left me wishing I’d done the same if the only value in these bullion coins is really the gold. 

6 hours ago, Melon said:

Good memory. I had the first two 1oz coins in the UK lunar series. I sold them a good while back though - circumstances demanded I’m afraid. Made a tidy profit on them but looking at today’s price, not so much! 

That’s one of the reasons I’m wondering now about storage. I kept those pristine in capsules, never once daring to get a fingerprint on it. When time came to sell, first thing that happened once price was agreed was the buyer popped them out of the capsule bare handed to check them over. Left me wishing I’d done the same if the only value in these bullion coins is really the gold. 

The value is whatever you can sell them for (whatever they are to someone else) or whatever they are to you.

I took my fractional pandas out of the omp which some people said they wouldn't do.

I don't handle them but I prefer to look at them in capsules or hold them in hand in the case of a Krugerrand.

Some people say i'm a wee bit mad.

9 hours ago, RoughDog said:

The value is whatever you can sell them for (whatever they are to someone else) or whatever they are to you.

I took my fractional pandas out of the omp which some people said they wouldn't do.

I don't handle them but I prefer to look at them in capsules or hold them in hand in the case of a Krugerrand.

Some people say i'm a wee bit mad.

You sound like a sensible fellow to me. Mad of course, but aren't all the best ones mad? 

Archived