• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Royal mint plastic packaging

Lea79

I paid well over the going price to have a boxed 2002 proof half sovereign that was still sealed, you know it has not been touched or cherry picked for grading. 

However 2002 was a one year design and its a proof coin in a box, would I have paid over the odds for a bullion coin that was sealed? nope. 

is it bullion, BU or proof? is it just a plastic seal where you can directly see the coin?, or a boxed item in a plastic bag sealed?

I've cracked stuff open which was in mint packaging purely because I like them in capsules more.

I probably removed some value in some people's eyes, but there's still a significant majority (like me) who don't really care about it a whole lot.

It was just BU stuff in my case.

I'd crack it open but I like all my stuff in capsules and nice and organised.

Sometimes it can be considered a crime especially with Pandas.

You will probably loose a little value against a sealed one if you do crack it open.

Aesthetics crack it open - For potential resale keep as is and particularly if your time frame is 30 years - how many in the same boat as you will have had the itch over 30 years to get the coin out and displayed? 

On a shorter time frame see how Rwanda Wildlife command a premium in the original foils. Similarly the earlier individual sealed pandas 

Although late in the day - Sant hapus Diwrnod Dewi to one and all!

Maybe I should just buy another 1 that isn't in the packet lol.

Definitely leave it in the packet. The 2012 was a one off design, IMO naff, but a one off none the less and commands a premium even though the mintage was quite high (750,000) for a recent year.

The problem with these coins is that the finish is a strange shiny one , difficult to describe, with low relief and detail. It only takes the slightest wear to take the surface off the high points and leave them looking awful.

Keep it in it's packet for "investment" purposes, if you want one to look at, buy a proof (mintage 5500 in full packaging), very nice but you'll be lucky to get one for less than £450. However you will get one from a split up set for less, in a nice capsule to boot.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

Archived