• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Do people buy gold on side of silver? also did sunshine minting fall off?

I've been kind of slowly collecting some silver. Just started a while back and it's been off and on so  I don't have very little for the most part.

Do you guys in silver buy gold on the side? This is the "silver" forum, but I wanted to see if other people bought gold and/or other precious metals on the side.

-----

Does anyone know what kind of happened to Sunshine Minting bars? They seem like they aren't as common now and I can't find the 10 Oz bars anymore for the most part or at least places I buy from usually. I buy Silver Towne for now, but Sunshine Minting had really cool bars. They were both pretty competitive on price over spot for 10 Oz Silver Bars at least.

I read an article that Comex was buying 100 and 10 oz bars to cover delivery orders.

I used to buy bars on Ebay, both Sunshine and Silvertowne around 2010. Until the good looking fakes came out. I got spooked and sold them and bought minted coins. Now they have fake coins! Learn to test with: the ping, ice cube, weight, caliper, high power magnet and the specific gravity tests.

I stack both gold and silver but the biggest headache for me is the gold/silver ratio which simply put is the amount of silver it takes to purchase one ounce of gold. I’ve prioritised gold over silver and restricted how much silver I will stack in order not to over-stack silver at the expense of gold. That’s a common problem with silver stackers. I’ve restricted my silver stacks to just Pandas, Kookaburras, Koalas and the Star Trek coin you see on my profile. However, I’ve placed no restrictions on my gold stacks.

1 hour ago, Serendipity said:

I stack both gold and silver but the biggest headache for me is the gold/silver ratio which simply put is the amount of silver it takes to purchase one ounce of gold. I’ve prioritised gold over silver and restricted how much silver I will stack in order not to over-stack silver at the expense of gold. That’s a common problem with silver stackers. I’ve restricted my silver stacks to just Pandas, Kookaburras, Koalas and the Star Trek coin you see on my profile. However, I’ve placed no restrictions on my gold stacks.

quote " ....not to over-stack silver at the expense of gold ..."

Hi - what do you mean by this ?
If the gold silver ratio remains very high then it suggests gold is over-priced or more likely silver under-priced.
Assuming the latter then this is a good time to stack silver rather than gold isn't it or am I not correctly understanding what you stated ?

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/10/2019 at 10:27, StackerNoob said:

I buy the odd bit of gold here and there. I’m mostly a silver guy, around 400 oz now, but have about 1.5 oz gold too. I actually need to rebalance a bit, would like to reach 2 oz gold by the years end

I've been busy with other stuff and just remembered this thread I made like two weeks ago or so.

I've been thinking about 20:1 - 25:1, but after seeing what you are doing I could get away with 100:1 or 200:1 just fine I bet.

I want some ratio at least though.

On 05/10/2019 at 15:27, Serendipity said:

I’ve restricted my silver stacks to just Pandas, Kookaburras, Koalas and the Star Trek coin you see on my profile. However, I’ve placed no restrictions on my gold stacks.

Same here I have restricted my silver stack to Queens Beasts (2 & 10 oz) Valiant & Britannia bars 10 oz and collecting some series Marvel, Rwanda. The reason for my restriction maybe different from yours @Serendipity due to weight/portability. @Pete I do favour Gold over Silver regardless Silver/Gold ratio and after QB series finished see my silver purchases reduced significantly. Not to say I would not stack silver again if we every had silver below £10 oz I would be very aggressive and buying monster boxes.

Archived