• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Manky old bit of silver...

Auricsstash

Evening chaps, I collect ww1 medals to local lads and I just got this one and thought it’s condition might interest some of you silver boys. 
I love patina on my silver medals not so much on my coins.... Strange really ain’t it?

this chap survived the war after being shot in the face at Cambria and played for my local cricket club which is still there....

29975807-4AE9-4426-8FD1-7046D9A5D24E.jpeg

600E0D25-9DDD-4593-ADF2-8E1E7CE50173.jpeg

EA784876-B809-4D6F-B942-0CDB133E32A0.jpeg

20A47F60-E9EE-4F10-8368-2DEA7AB17AFC.jpeg

9 minutes ago, MickB said:

Great medal as well as the patina on it. Have you considered getting a new ribbon for it?

Hi Mick On the look out for one but for a medal this beat up it’s going to have to be a well worn one. Brand new ribbons on beaten up medals looks squiffy..

Ribbons are easy to sort out, get a small piece of the correct one and wet it through and leave it on the medal for a while somewhere a bit damp and cold.

If I remember the rarest of these medals are the bronze ones which were only awarded to Indians and other commonwealth soldiers 110,000 issued, the silver war medal there was over 6 million issued and in silver, this is the ribbon you want, its the cheapest I could find.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/British-War-Medal-Full-Size-Medal-Ribbon/263894256797?hash=item3d7152cc9d:g:2mwAAOSw2N5bfeyK

9 hours ago, SILVERFINGER said:

Ribbons are easy to sort out, get a small piece of the correct one and wet it through and leave it on the medal for a while somewhere a bit damp and cold.

If I remember the rarest of these medals are the bronze ones which were only awarded to Indians and other commonwealth soldiers 110,000 issued, the silver war medal there was over 6 million issued and in silver, this is the ribbon you want, its the cheapest I could find.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/British-War-Medal-Full-Size-Medal-Ribbon/263894256797?hash=item3d7152cc9d:g:2mwAAOSw2N5bfeyK

Cheers silverfinger, yup the bronze versions are worth significantly more than the silver. Must have been some bill for approximately 9 million ounces of silver!!

3 hours ago, MickB said:

A bit of a kick in the teeth for the Commonwealth soldiers issuing bronze medals whilst everyone else got the silver version.

Yes quite a few commonwealth countrys were treated as second rate citizens of the British empire back then (not New Zealand/Canada/Australia though) , Britain would only issue/sell the last generation of weapons to her commonwealth allies (Indians/Burmese etc etc), so when we got the Martini Henrys, they all got the Sniders rifles, they wouldnt get Martinis until we started using the Lee Metford rifle, and the Martini Henry MKIV was only made for commonwealth allies, Britain never used it herself, this was because if one of these countries was to turn and rise up against Britain we didnt want them to be on the same footing weapon wise.

3 hours ago, SILVERFINGER said:

Yes quite a few commonwealth countrys were treated as second rate citizens of the British empire back then (not New Zealand/Canada/Australia though) , Britain would only issue/sell the last generation of weapons to her commonwealth allies (Indians/Burmese etc etc), so when we got the Martini Henrys, they all got the Sniders rifles, they wouldnt get Martinis until we started using the Lee Metford rifle, and the Martini Henry MKIV was only made for commonwealth allies, Britain never used it herself, this was because if one of these countries was to turn and rise up against Britain we didnt want them to be on the same footing weapon wise.

Interesting bit of knowledge. I can understand the bit about not giving your up to date weapons to anyone else in case of a later problem.

Archived