• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

How to start investing bars/coins/etf

silvernewbie

Hi guys

i am new to silver currently hold a small amount of Gold.  I was looking to buy 10oz bars online eg pamp/umicore but there seems to be a shortage and none on sale.  There are also 1oz krugerrands for £22, so confused which is the best and has the lowest spread when it comes to selling (long term hold). 

Also i invest in some gold/silver mining fund and considering VanEck junior miners, is this a better investment?  Or an ETF which just tracks the price of silver? Small spread and low cost buying/selling fees?

thanks

Miners are more volatile but will give you upside if and when it comes. i would go for GDX and GDXJ - they are a broad spectrum of miners. GDX has appreciated quite a lot this year - over 50% and GDXJ 40%. i would just get in and don't try to trade in and out. Expect ups and downs.

Silver in the UK is a long term investment - there is VAT on silver but if you are quick before the potential Brexit you can pick up some lower taxed silver COINS and use the Backyard bullion group order - it might be too late for that but if it is you can order yourself from say https://goldsilver.be  or https://europeanmint.com . What happens after Brexit is any one's guess. VAT is levied by HMRC so there will be VAT from anywhere in the world it is only there is the EU trade rules that create a loophole UK buyers can exploit.

If you have physical silver you have the physical and in the end that could well be important to your wealth.

Gold is much better price and generally members recommend sovereigns. If you get UK gold coins you do not pay VAT and there's no CGT when you sell.

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

Pick up 1oz Krugs for £15.90 each at European Mint on the group order if you are quick enough - believe this months cut off is 22 Sept (Sunday). 

💷 💷 Check out my Wanted adds and message me direct if you can help 💷 💷 

Plus - if you are in it for the long run and are just stacking for weight and wealth, buy your 10oz bars in a country with no VAT and vault them. For example, I buy mine in the states and currently pay £152 for 10oz Royal Canadian Mint bars. 

💷 💷 Check out my Wanted adds and message me direct if you can help 💷 💷 

6 hours ago, sixgun said:

Miners are more volatile but will give you upside if and when it comes. i would go for GDX and GDXJ - they are a broad spectrum of miners. GDX has appreciated quite a lot this year - over 50% and GDXJ 40%. i would just get in and don't try to trade in and out. Expect ups and downs.

Silver in the UK is a long term investment - there is VAT on silver but if you are quick before the potential Brexit you can pick up some lower taxed silver COINS and use the Backyard bullion group order - it might be too late for that but if it is you can order yourself from say https://goldsilver.be  or https://europeanmint.com . What happens after Brexit is any one's guess. VAT is levied by HMRC so there will be VAT from anywhere in the world it is only there is the EU trade rules that create a loophole UK buyers can exploit.

If you have physical silver you have the physical and in the end that could well be important to your wealth.

Gold is much better price and generally members recommend sovereigns. If you get UK gold coins you do not pay VAT and there's no CGT when you sell.

Thanks for the tips the etfs you mention were the ones i was looking at, at the moment i hold some individual mining stocks like polymetal and fresnillo.  Im looking to start the physical metals journey, and krugerrand/libtards coins and 10oz bars are my preference 

i will look at backyard bullion i think the deadline is today, to order from those sites myself isnt worth it due to delivery costs, though silver to go is reasonable at £12.  

https://www.silver-to-go.com/en/silver-coins/#?country_id=mexico,south_africa&grouping=country_id

https://atkinsonsbullion.com/silver/silver-bars/10oz-silver-bars/pre-owned-10oz-silver-bar

8 hours ago, silvernewbie said:

Thanks for the tips the etfs you mention were the ones i was looking at, at the moment i hold some individual mining stocks like polymetal and fresnillo.  Im looking to start the physical metals journey, and krugerrand/libtards coins and 10oz bars are my preference 

i will look at backyard bullion i think the deadline is today, to order from those sites myself isnt worth it due to delivery costs, though silver to go is reasonable at £12.  

https://www.silver-to-go.com/en/silver-coins/#?country_id=mexico,south_africa&grouping=country_id

https://atkinsonsbullion.com/silver/silver-bars/10oz-silver-bars/pre-owned-10oz-silver-bar

The problem with individual mining stocks is they can do really well but can do really badly. Most of us do not have the knowledge or time to devout to researching these companies. So the safest bet is to by an ETF which is liquid (easy to buy and sell), has a proven track record and leave it to the fund managers to make the selections. That way one of the miners could come unstuck but the fund has lots of other miners in its portfolio so no big loss.

i have bought from Silver-to-Go - they are a decent outfit and i had no problems.

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

14 hours ago, silvernewbie said:

what do people think of this company, their prices seen the cheapest online for 10oz.  does it matter which make u buy e.g. Sunshine mint v Silvetown buffalo?  which is seen at the most valuable in general?

https://silvergoldbull.co.uk/10-oz-silver-bars/

I think there is VAT to be added to these prices, not purchased from this company before

Precious metals are a very volatile asset class. Having a stack of physical is psychologically very different to getting your exposure through ETFs or some other paper method, and it grounds you much more.

If you want exposure to precious metals then,  in my opinion, the "correct" order to go about things is:

- Stack a solid amount of low premium bullion
- Diversify with some more interesting coins (if you feel like it)
- Increase exposure with PM ETFs only when you feel like your physical stack is enough to weather a prolonged economic crisis
- Lastly accumulate a position in mining ETFs if you want a speculative leveraged play

- Do NOT buy individual gold/silver mining shares unless you are chums with the CEO's and have his personal cellphone number on speed-dial. Mining is a notoriously precarious business. It's pot luck which companies will do well and which ones will flounder. I doubt Warren Buffet or Peter Lynch would would be able to pick the winners out of the sector. A sector-wide ETF is by far the best way to play this.

On 21/09/2019 at 19:11, 5huggy said:

IMHO - -get em before next week and HODL!!!!

The actual miners  - -avoid etf's unless you are seriously experienced on whipping in and out!

ALL IMHO 

BURT WERT DUZ AYE NO!?? 😉

😉

Archived