• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Thoughts on two silver half crowns - fake?

Penfold

Aquired these two recently. Looking for people's thoughts on the top two. The bottom one in each pic weighs right etc so presuming that one's ok.

The other two however both weigh about 13.6g and the middle one is ever so slightly magnetic.... 🤦‍♂️.

IMG_20190917_171728542-01.thumb.jpeg.6311354885b7a148630169d61368d285.jpeg

IMG_20190917_171818693-01.thumb.jpeg.adc1886cc92a6ab5dc249becaf0388b4.jpeg

Thanks

The first two have considerable wear, so this doesn't sound strange in my opinion.

These coins are 50% silver, not sure about the rest. If it is Nickel for example, they must be somewhat magnetic. Not sure what their exact behavior with the magnet should be though.

Instagram: gildeon_67

To be fair I was going to do a half crown run and will return to it a some point 

There are a lot available so I agree unlikely  they would be counterfeited but I know crowns are so who knows

So frustrating the market is flooded with trash 

Could do with a sigma tester or someone offering a test service on here for beer tokens  or a small fee 

That would be cool 

7 minutes ago, MikeG1978 said:

To be fair I was going to do a half crown run and will return to it a some point 

There are a lot available so I agree unlikely  they would be counterfeited but I know crowns are so who knows

So frustrating the market is flooded with trash 

Could do with a sigma tester or someone offering a test service on here for beer tokens  or a small fee 

That would be cool 

I've been considering getting one and offering just that kinda of service. 

4 minutes ago, Martlet said:

Would anyone fake these coins, to a low grade?  

There's plenty of alloys that would be far cheaper than silver so it's worth it in numbers. If I were a counterfeiter I'd prefer to fake a low grade one because; easier to copy as you don't have to get all the detail, and there's less chance of people even checking as they assume what's the point so I can continue for longer before folk notice.

Added 0 minutes later...
2 minutes ago, Shinus73 said:

This was once currency and in it’s day would have been copied in the same way every other currency is.

What he said

1 minute ago, Shinus73 said:

This was once currency and in it’s day would have been copied in the same way every other currency is.

Suppose your right as it would have been worth more then 

It's frustrating as if fake they should be destroyed or marked save them doing the rounds

3 minutes ago, Notafront4adragon said:

There's plenty of alloys that would be far cheaper than silver so it's worth it in numbers. If I were a counterfeiter I'd prefer to fake a low grade one because; easier to copy as you don't have to get all the detail, and there's less chance of people even checking as they assume what's the point so I can continue for longer before folk notice.

I see your point, though to this low quality? I've seen a lot of the fakes being churned out, if they're "worn" its a rare year or mint mark to sucker people in.   

Hadnt considered being a vintage fake, that does make more sense for me. 

Archived