• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Royal Mint 10% weekend discount

Jesus, they still have the 2017 proof Britannia in stock, not only that but only 65% reserved! I wonder if they regret choosing that awful design 

Also interesting they still have QB Bull and Falcon, I think the series has lost a lottt of steam with the past 3 releases; I personally couldn't bring myself to buy them even though I bought the first 3 and had planned to get the full set. 

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

1 hour ago, Kman said:

Also interesting they still have QB Bull and Falcon, I think the series has lost a lottt of steam with the past 3 releases; I personally couldn't bring myself to buy them even though I bought the first 3 and had planned to get the full set. 

Why do you think that is? People getting bored with the franchise? I personally think there are too many versions of each design... too many proof sizes, you have silver and gold and then you have bullion in two sizes too. No-one can collect everything unless your pockets are very deep. However I at least expected the one ounce silver to sell out. The Yale sold out quickly because they dropped the mintages. That was a good idea. And the bull's mintage is not shown, one would almost think it's unlimited if it wasn't for the "95% reserved" indicator.

Added 0 minutes later...

1 minute ago, goldmember44 said:

Why do you think that is? People getting bored with the franchise? I personally think there are too many versions of each design... too many proof sizes, you have silver and gold and then you have bullion in two sizes too. No-one can collect everything unless your pockets are very deep. However I at least expected the one ounce silver to sell out. The Yale sold out quickly because they dropped the mintages. That was a good idea. And the bull's mintage is not shown, one would almost think it's unlimited if it wasn't for the "95% reserved" indicator.

I can say that for me it was the designs, there was a big drop off in quality; you can say it's just the limitations of a lion is cooler than a bull, but it's not just that

You compare the lion to the falcon.. 

Lion design is dynamic, has a sense of movement, 3d, sits well in the designs

Falcon is flat, 2d, wings are awkwardly placed, just doesn't flow well

Mintages for them should have been around 3500 each really

lion.jpg

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

True, the lion looks way more appealing than the falcon at first sight. But I must say the falcon is growing on me with time. And the bull looks great too IMO. And as for the Yale... it is highly popular. Yes I think the main issue was the mintages were too high. However the lion had the highest mintage of all... but could "afford" that because it was the first design and everyone wanted to get one -- especially English people I guess. :)

2 hours ago, Kman said:

Jesus, they still have the 2017 proof Britannia in stock, not only that but only 65% reserved!

I'm very surprised by that and some others, like the Philip retirement 2017 Piedfort at 90% and the Charles 70th etc (for the opposite reason, that they have sold so many!). In stock as well, which is presumably why they're on sale at all instead of quietly 'retired' some time ago at lower than the maximum coin mintage. At least in the case of the Britannia it's good news for the owners of a generally 'unpopular' year I think, they can't carry on trying to sell them forever, anyone who wants one pretty much has one for the time being, they will only come into their own in the future.

Interesting to see at least one gold proof which was being minted to order recently is now unavailable, I hope it stays that way as I have one and an even lower mintage than expected is a long-term winner in my eyes :)

@goldmember44 others on here may disagree (?) but personally I'd advise staying away from such commemoratives, unless you want it simply for your own enjoyment as a huge fan of the monarchy. Most sales will be through the types of companies that advertise in the sunday papers if you catch my drift and it likely won't retain any sort of premium imvho. Interesting design though @augur eh? I wonder when little George will get his own crown, at 7 or 13 perhaps? Most likely when Liz passes on is my guess, and they all move 'up' a level.

11 minutes ago, kimchi said:

@goldmember44 others on here may disagree (?) but personally I'd advise staying away from such commemoratives, unless you want it simply for your own enjoyment as a huge fan of the monarchy. Most sales will be through the types of companies that advertise in the sunday papers if you catch my drift and it likely won't retain any sort of premium imvho. Interesting design though

I generally do stay away from commemoratives, I have only invested in ranges like the Queen's Beasts and sovereigns, and recently acquired the Sherlock Holmes coins (mostly because I am sentimental about it). The coin I mentioned -- if I do buy it, it would be purely because I like the look of it, for personal reasons and not because I see it as an investment that will increase in value. Indeed, the vast majority of these commemorative coins don't keep any premiums in the future. One thing I'm a bt surprised about. though, is that the Britannia series is not more popular among the public. Perhaps coin collecting itself is not attracting the interest it used to, or is supposed to. I have a really immaculate 2001 silver proof Britannia here that I got from someone, but I have no idea really what it is worth, and if there is any interest in it at all. Whether I should grade it or not.

If bought at the right price Beasts, Sovs and Holmes etc should do very well (though only Sovs have stood the test of time, so the rest is mvho). I was gutted not to get a Holmes myself as funds weren't in place - it would have been the pride of my collection too, but it is always nice to know that should you be forced or want to liquidate that you'll also make a profit :) So another option for commemoratives you like is to buy second hand in a year or two for less money, unless you really do want it now (entirely valid!).

The Britannia is a bit of a strange one I know...I think quite a few of us were expecting these to take off somewhat off the backs of the Beasts and then growing interest in Sovs, but it hasn't happened as it might have (yet - ?). So I know a few people who are hoovering up the fractional gold at pretty decent (low) premiums which is a no lose situation in my book. I'd do the same but my small pockets/exposure to gold I generally keep to Sovs.

6 minutes ago, kimchi said:

If bought at the right price Beasts, Sovs and Holmes etc should do very well (though only Sovs have stood the test of time, so the rest is mvho). I was gutted not to get a Holmes myself as funds weren't in place - it would have been the pride of my collection too, but it is always nice to know that should you be forced or want to liquidate that you'll also make a profit :) So another option for commemoratives you like is to buy second hand in a year or two for less money, unless you really do want it now (entirely valid!).

The Britannia is a bit of a strange one I know...I think quite a few of us were expecting these to take off somewhat off the backs of the Beasts and then growing interest in Sovs, but it hasn't happened as it might have (yet - ?). So I know a few people who are hoovering up the fractional gold at pretty decent (low) premiums which is a no lose situation in my book. I'd do the same but my small pockets/exposure to gold I generally keep to Sovs.

Hey I have 2 Holmes proofs and one piedfort... I can sell you one ordinary proof if you want :) At a good price of course

30 minutes ago, goldmember44 said:

Hey I have 2 Holmes proofs and one piedfort... I can sell you one ordinary proof if you want :) At a good price of course

That is very kind of you indeed, I will PM you :)

I would say keep the Piedfort, not hyped on here, but might do well ;)

Archived