• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Silver is for collecting, Golds for stacking!

ChrisF

5 hours ago, Reichpapers said:

Stack just doesn't sound right in relation to gold.  You can have a big stack of silver, but gold, you may have 3-4 coins.  That sounds more like a small pile.

Stack 3 - 4 sovs to one oz of gold 😉

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shadow Stack pickup his foundation stack between £9-10 oz back 2016 very fortunate (in hindsight) bottom of the market and the GBP 1.55 USD at the time. Two months in and I am at 500oz silver and 3oz gold. I can easily take my oz gold and put them in a safety deposit box but my silver stack I need to store at home and I am still trying to figure the best/safest location.

Chris Duane - How to double you Gold Stack https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPn8WdknJYI silver undervalued.

I am going to continue to purchase purchase Silver and Gold but from practical perspective having more wealth in a smaller package which gold offers cannot argue with that.

4 hours ago, Abyss said:

Shadow Stack pickup his foundation stack between £9-10 oz back 2016 very fortunate (in hindsight) bottom of the market and the GBP 1.55 USD at the time.

In the video he says he purchased his first lot of Britannia’s in 2014 at £12.40/toz when spot was around £9.50.  It’s not far off that now.  The next lot he bought was some Lunars at £15.20/toz and you can definitely get silver cheaper than that right now.  Where he is probably still up is in the premiums on the particular coins he purchased.

On 16/09/2018 at 21:06, Numistacker said:

Silver is cheap now in terms of spot but it’s difficult and time consuming. I am collecting in a limited way Silver Bullion Queen’s Beasts and occasionally others as they come up. My worries are:

1.  Modern Numismatic Silver is way to plentiful and subject to fashion.

2.   Bullion silver is still expensive in relative terms due  to the exchange rate with the US dollar.

3.  Silver is highly prone to tarnishing toning and spotting and most problem Silver  conditions cannot be conserved.

4.  Margins on silver are generally higher than gold  and silvers volatility can make it more difficult to gauge and sell at the top of the rising market.

5.  Silver’s low price per transaction generally makes trading costs higher and postage costs significantly higher relative to the cost of the item.

I would expect something like this with a forum name like "Numistacker", because literally you have the Numi part in your name.  Thing is, you don't have to actually care about numismatics to stack silver, you can just stack bullion and forget about your points (1) and (3).  The rest of your points do apply to bullion, of course.  Your point (5) is less of an issue if you are stacking larger quantities, but a big issue if you're a one'sy two'sy ebay buyer.  Your point (2) I think is an issue with European buyers who are taxed on silver purchases, but I don't believe that is an issue in the U.S.

Definitely have to worry about point 3. Just seen a video YouTube today about Silver being highly prone to tarnishing toning and spotting. Due to point 3 the dealer was only willing to buy back half the spot price of silver :(.

1 minute ago, Abyss said:

Due to point 3 the dealer was only willing to buy back half the spot price of silver :(.

Wow, dodgy dealer!  Its still silver even with tarnishing and is still worth close to spot.  Most people would happily pay spot for any tarnished or milk spotted silver.  That's just the dealer taking the p*ss.

4 minutes ago, Abyss said:

Definitely have to worry about point 3. Just seen a video YouTube today about Silver being highly prone to tarnishing toning and spotting. Due to point 3 the dealer was only willing to buy back half the spot price of silver :(.

Anyone who sells silver for "half the spot price" has no idea what they are doing.

I ran into this when talking to someone at a pawn shop once.  I wasn't there to buy or sell, but just for fun I floated the idea of selling the guy a gold coin and asked him what he would pay for it, and he gave me some absurd price and I started laughing literally at him.  I told him ... look, if you can buy gold for that price, I'll come in here once a week and buy it from you for twice what you paid for it.  I was saying that because both he and I knew that what he was saying was complete B.S., that his price was a total rip off, and that nobody in the right mind would sell silver and gold for less than spot.

If you have 999 fine silver and gold in any form, you would be ... unschooled ... to sell it for less than spot.

2 hours ago, Goldhooked said:

In the video he says he purchased his first lot of Britannia’s in 2014 at £12.40/toz when spot was around £9.50.  It’s not far off that now.  The next lot he bought was some Lunars at £15.20/toz and you can definitely get silver cheaper than that right now.  Where he is probably still up is in the premiums on the particular coins he purchased.

is his a stack of silver or a large collection of silver?

I see this as a good example in favour of stacking gold and

collecting silver. it's not like he got his timing wrong, yet 2

and a half years down the line he's not much better off than

if he'd put it in the bank to buy now(with hindsight). premium

coins are usually less liquid than bullion as you need to find

a buyer for that exact coin. how long would it take to sell

his silver whilst still maintaining the premium? (dealers

are not buyers, they are middlemen who sell the coins on

for a profit).

(it's claimed that there are 40k collectors in the uk. bullion

silver britannias some years back had a mintage of ~100k.

as a very rough comparison can we expect on average a

bullion collector to hold less than 5 coins of the exact

same design?)

with hindsight from this point in time, he might have been

better off stacking gold.

HH

19 minutes ago, HawkHybrid said:

is his a stack of silver or a large collection of silver?

Semantics.  Who really cares what label it is referred to as, its a fooking big lump of silver no matter what you call it!  One point though, if there was ever a SHTF scenario, there's no way he's moving that stack anywhere in a hurry!

20 minutes ago, HawkHybrid said:

premium

coins are usually less liquid than bullion as you need to find

a buyer for that exact coin. how long would it take to sell

his silver whilst still maintaining the premium? (dealers

are not buyers, they are middlemen who sell the coins on

for a profit).

He does actually say early on in the video that (at the time it was filmed) he was in profit even selling to a dealer - I bet that's not the case right now!  If he had to shift it all quickly right now then he's probably out of pocket.

I've been fighting it out in my head for a while and I'm leaning this way @ChrisF . Gold has such a density of wealth, that its brilliant for stacking. I feel silver is #1 too risky to preserve your wealth in, and #2 Takes up too much space. I think we all get excited to see a $20k silver stack heaped up like pirate treasure, but the same wealth fits into 15.5 Golden Maple leaves.  I mean, people say that silver is used in SO many other technological applications and that its a finite resource and therefore will become  much more expensive later on, but honestly, I think companies would just re-invent a different approach to their technology if the whole thing was hinging on a (lets imagine a 1:1 ratio) $1,120 oz of silver to make it work. 

ShinyHunterTPT necessity is key to innovation, I agree with you.

People who are saying it's going to be $500 or $1.000 per oz are too far downin the rabbit whole.

We are living in a boom and as long as that keeps going, prices go sideways/lower.

When the boom booms, silver will get lower, everyone runs to gold and then silver can go 

to $10, then go to around $20, maybe $25/$30 if it is a depression instead of a recession

Silver so far has peaked twice, in my lifetime once and I honestly don't want it to peak again.

Folks soon forget, banks dropped like flies, blood flooded the streets, banks couldn't fill the atm's.

Nah man, I will be happy not getting rich of silver.

So yeah, maybe stacking gold and collecting silver is not that bad of an idea

I will only buying silver when it improves my collection

of course I will buy 1 when there is new year

Also changing some NS 69 to MS 70, only problem is that they are expensive

Normal cost is ~1000£ each

I will most likely start buying gold,

I think it's weird that people have a negative view of silver but a positive view of gold.  Me, I like both, and think both are excellent long term investments.  I'm personally less interested in platinum, but would have total respect for someone who was stacking it.

I don't think it's weird. it's like thinking gold miner 'a' is worth

a punt where as gold miner 'b' is not. they can both be gold

miners but have significantly different risk to reward ratios.

investing/trading is about making money. I feel gold has a

better case for long term holdings and silver is better if

you can trade on the rises and falls. I've bought silver before

(so I'm not looking down on those who have bought or

choose to continue to buy) it's not about what is correct or

not correct. it's about the case for silver long term may not

be as strong as some people have been lead to believe.

even with a weaker case, for some silver may still be the

better choice. a better understanding is always an

improvement, even if it leads to the same choice as

before.

(if a rally turns up after the fed meeting then I think silver

is the better buy right now. long term data means little if

all you are planning to do is trade on a rally that may only

last weeks or months)

HH

1 hour ago, Lowlow said:

I think it's weird that people have a negative view of silver but a positive view of gold.  Me, I like both, and think both are excellent long term investments.  I'm personally less interested in platinum, but would have total respect for someone who was stacking it.

The same people will give great arguments for stacking silver in favour of gold when it becomes more expensive. You can't get away from it that even in the alternative investment/PM stacking community most people follow the herd and shun that which is out of favour. Stackers are in their own way just as dumb and susceptible to herd mentality and following the hot money.

4 hours ago, vand said:

The same people will give great arguments for stacking silver in favour of gold when it becomes more expensive. You can't get away from it that even in the alternative investment/PM stacking community most people follow the herd and shun that which is out of favour. Stackers are in their own way just as dumb and susceptible to herd mentality and following the hot money.

Id say more so 😁

Definitely made up my mind sliver insurance policy SHTF and great hobby but gold wealth preservation. I am stacking both but with different mind set and goals.

I would not sell my physical silver position but may sell gold to purchase other income generating assets in the future.

Silver is like a non-expiring call option on gold.

It comes with a premium markup, generally lags gold and has time decay, but when the market starts heading in the right direction then it will catch up and magnify the underlying movement several-fold.

To me silver is just money.  Gold, it's more ... I don't know, like what bankers stacked back in the day lol.  From what I've read, back in the day most people never owned an ounce of gold, but they did have silver.  People worked for anywhere from about a dime a day, upwards to about a quarter, some fancier jobs a few silver ounces per week.

Even today, as hard as it is to believe, in places like the Democratic Republic of the Congo half of the people in the country work for about a mercury dime's worth of silver per day, or about 27 troy ounces of silver per year.

For a majority of the world's people, the amount of silver that most of us in the West could store away is nearly unimaginable, like a fairy story they tell their children.

36 minutes ago, Lowlow said:

Even today, as hard as it is to believe, in places like the Democratic Republic of the Congo half of the people in the country work for about a mercury dime's worth of silver per day, or about 27 troy ounces of silver per year.

this sounds a lot like chris duane. the amount that people earn in

those countries have nothing to do with the tenth ounce of silver.

they are not paid in silver, neither do their currencies contain

silver. they simply don't have the infrastructure in place to earn

more than that. the same ~$1.4 can be represented in close to

one fiftieth of a barrel of oil. it's just another arbitrary number.

did they earn more in 2011 when the silver price was up?

HH

21 minutes ago, HawkHybrid said:

this sounds a lot like chris duane. the amount that people earn in those countries have nothing to do with the tenth ounce of silver. they are not paid in silver, neither do their currencies contain silver. they simply don't have the infrastructure in place to earn more than that. the same ~$1.4 can be represented in close to one fiftieth of a barrel of oil. it's just another arbitrary number. did they earn more in 2011 when the silver price was up?

HH

HH, early on I was having fun debating with you ... but I have to admit, now I'm starting to just not like you.

Obviously I was talking about the amount of money they make ... not suggesting they go to the pay master for their silver dime.

Archived