• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

CGS (Coin Grading Service)

Keithoil

Now I know quite a few of you do not like slabbed coins and some have tore them apart to get a the candy inside.

I like them and have just found this web site. 

http://www.coingradingservices.co.uk/?page=home

Don't why I have just found it but I have.

My intention when I get home is to send of around 8-9 coins a few full and half sovereigns and some of my silver 1 oz coins for slabbing.

There is also a wealth of info on the website.

Any one here considered getting any coins slabbed.

I will post some pics when I get them back, but it could talk a while. 30-90 days.

No I haven't Keith, it seems to be a big thing in the US, I've been talking to dealer in the US who has a couple of NGC slabbed proof coins I'm after, but he hasn't got the original cases boxes or capsules or certs which is no use to me as I would have done what Danny does broke them out of the slabs and put them I my nice collectors case with the rest of the set.

The problem with common sense is, its not that common.

Buying or getting coins slabbed , limits your resale market to USA , very few buyers in Europe / Australasia . I always buy my libertad proof coins from Europe , this guarantees that they have not been picked over , which is what most of the American dealers do, especially apmex . Make sure you factor in extra cost, and resale market

@Dave

Yes I have thought about this and the coins that will be sent off do not have any original capsules.

But I agree if I were to send off say a proof coin I would with out a shadow of doubt keep the original case etc, which I would hope would add to the value. :D

But we don't want to sell them do we, that would be far to painful.

• 1 year later...

Has anyone else have any thoughts on CGS UK as a grading service.

I have used them in the past and I was very happy with them.

Their main area of expertise is British coins,would be better using CGS for UK coins if you were to sell in the UK.

Or do the American graders have more credibility than CGS.

Has anyone else have any thoughts on CGS UK as a grading service.

I have used them in the past and I was very happy with them.

Their main area of expertise is British coins,would be better using CGS for UK coins if you were to sell in the UK.

Or do the American graders have more credibility than CGS.

They have a good reputation but you should look at your purpose in grading. If you just want to know the grade they are good and accurate. If you want to ensure the widest market and largest group of potential buyers then PCGS or NGC are the wisest choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, Numistacker said:

They have a good reputation but you should look at your purpose in grading. If you just want to know the grade they are good and accurate. If you want to ensure the widest market and largest group of potential buyers then PCGS or NGC are the wisest choice.

Is it expensive to have them graded and shipped back to you from the States?

$17 per coin + $8 per type of coin plus return postage depending on on qty and value say $25 to $50

They have a good reputation but you should look at your purpose in grading. If you just want to know the grade they are good and accurate. If you want to ensure the widest market and largest group of potential buyers then PCGS or NGC are the wisest choice. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

$17 per coin + $8 per type of coin plus return postage depending on on qty and value say $25 to $50

So a slab of 2016 panda would be $263 plus say $25 return shipping.

Total of $288 or £199.

Is my math correct?

Stacker since 2013

They have a good reputation but you should look at your purpose in grading. If you just want to know the grade they are good and accurate. If you want to ensure the widest market and largest group of potential buyers then PCGS or NGC are the wisest choice. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

$17 per coin + $8 per type of coin plus return postage depending on on qty and value say $25 to $50Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So a slab of 2016 panda would be $263 plus say $25 return shipping.

Total of $288 or £199.

Is my math correct?

2016 panda 8g X 5 (min) would be 5 X 17 + 8 + 25 in $ all gold or silver post 1980 at less than $1000 each.

I meant silver buddy.

So I could grade 15 pandas for £200?

Silver or gold same price ... Yes probably 15 for £200

11 hours ago, FriedrichVonHayek said:

I see that CGS charge £15.75 per coin to be graded or 2% of the value of the coin which ever is greater.

The Britannia's and Sovereigns graded by CGS seem to do okay on eBay.

If I remember right and they are owned or run by the same people as the London coin company down here in Kent, I would like to add that they are extremely unprofessional and rude

The Gold Sovereign

The Gold Sovereign aims to provide the most complete online resource to collectors of the world's most popular gold coin - the Sovereign.

www.thegoldsovereign.com    |    contact@thegoldsovereign.com

2 minutes ago, sg86 said:

If I remember right and they are owned or run by the same people as the London coin company down here in Kent, I would like to add that they are extremely unprofessional and rude

I think that is a different company.

CGS are affiliated with London Coins which is an auction house runs very large coin auctions a few times a year in Bracknell Berkshire.

I think London Coins and The London Coin Company are two completely business's as London Coins is based in Kent and the London Coin Company is based in Middlesex.

Also The London Coin Company is a UK agent for PCGS.

13 hours ago, FriedrichVonHayek said:

I see that CGS charge £15.75 per coin to be graded or 2% of the value of the coin which ever is greater.

The Britannia's and Sovereigns graded by CGS seem to do okay on eBay.

Sorry I'm referring to "London coins" as I said here in Kent. Wouldn't touch them with a barge pole after the run in I had with the company secretary (who told me she was a director)

The Gold Sovereign

The Gold Sovereign aims to provide the most complete online resource to collectors of the world's most popular gold coin - the Sovereign.

www.thegoldsovereign.com    |    contact@thegoldsovereign.com

Yes that's what has worried me about this company from the start. It was formed by people in the trade with vested interests, I'm not sure I would be entirely comfortable trusting very rare coins to their care.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

Yes that's what has worried me about this company from the start. It was formed by people in the trade with vested interests, I'm not sure I would be entirely comfortable trusting very rare coins to their care.

At the London Coin Fair yesterday many dealers had some CGS but the high quality dealers all had PCGS or NGC. That should tell you something.

Spoke to a couple of dealers and they said slabs are the big growth area for uk coin market as it's very difficult for buyers to trust raw coins and too tempting for dealers to mislead.

To be fair to CGS they have not been grading coins for very long where PCGS have been doing it since the mid-eighties in a much larger market.

I have had a few valuable coins graded by them one of which was worth £1750.

My experience of them has been positive but unfortunately sg86's dealings with them were very negative.

It would be great if we had easy access to PCGS/NGC or equivalent in this country and I was hoping that CGS would step into that role. They don't seem to have grown much in the last few years and I think they should be making more effort to do so, by doing something with pricing etc. They also need to do something to get themselves universally trusted.

The ease with which we would be able to transport coins to them by RM SD and get them returned would be a big advantage.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

Archived