• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Description of these 2 Crowns

richatthecroft

Hi all.  Picked up these two 1937 George VI Coronation Crowns recently.  Just wondering if I could ask for comments of how they might be described (clearly not an exact grade from photo) but a general comment of what they might be described as: uncirculated? Proof (I hope!)? or alternatively, signpost me to a website/ book or resource that can help me learn about different descriptions/grading advice. 

I'm really pleased with them and want to learn more about coinage in general.

Thanks in advance, Richard

image2 3.jpg

image1 3.jpg

Have you tried https://www.amazon.co.uk/Standard-Guide-Grading-British-Coins/dp/0948964839

I recently started trying a bit of grading based on that book, found it helpful to identify the areas that are expected to wear first.

Of those two, I prefer the one on the left, do you think the one on the right has been polished?

Neither are proof, the one on the right may have been gently cleaned but its difficult to tell from photos.

I would say they are both EF.

The book mentioned by sovsaver suggests to look for wear on the orb under the cross and on the chain across the body on the unicorn

On 24/01/2018 at 01:00, JohnAnsink said:

Nice comparison. I am a novice...below novice. But I think that the one on the right had a better strike. Both are great condition. IMHO. Grats on pick ups. 

16 hours ago, Sovsaver said:

Have you tried https://www.amazon.co.uk/Standard-Guide-Grading-British-Coins/dp/0948964839

I recently started trying a bit of grading based on that book, found it helpful to identify the areas that are expected to wear first.

Of those two, I prefer the one on the left, do you think the one on the right has been polished?

12 hours ago, metallica73 said:

Neither are proof, the one on the right may have been gently cleaned but its difficult to tell from photos.

I would say they are both EF.

The book mentioned by sovsaver suggests to look for wear on the orb under the cross and on the chain across the body on the unicorn

10 hours ago, HawkHybrid said:

the one on the right seems to have more detail/a better strike.

(maybe it's the photos)

HH

Hi all.  Thanks for the feedback.  

In terms of the detail to the Crown on the right, on looking at them in hand the detail is very similar, maybe the toning on the left Crown in the photo doesn't allow for as deep a shadow? that would emphasise its detail but I think Sovsaver and metallica are absolutely right, the right hand Crown has been cleaned/polished.  I prefer the one on the left.  I will definitely buy a copy of the grading book, a quick 'look inside' in the Amazon link provides lots of valuable information but I guess picking up a variety of coins and taking a closer and considered assessment is the way to gain more confidence in buying at the right price or at least in a condition you are happy with.  I have taken a look at both the Orb and the chain as mentioned through my loupe and magnifier but my tired eyes after a very long 12 hour shift are playing tricks on me, can't wait to look again with fresh eyes and a long weekend off coming up.   

Archived