• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Gold seen as a poor investment ?

Pete

I certainly hope not BUT according to Whitechurch Securities ( www.whitechurchfc.co.uk ) latest report to investors Q3 - 2014 page 3 they say " We hold a negative view on investment in gold ...."

Quite a contrast to all the bullshit from other financial advisors about 6 months or so ago, emailing every day, saying sell your house and invest everything you own into gold because the world is about to implode ..

Looking at their site I don't think it would be in their interest to tell us gold's a good investment, they probably want us to put the money in one of their pensions, personally speaking I'd say gold's the best and safest pension there is.

personally speaking I'd say gold's the best and safest pension there is.

I have to agree with you there. My silver stack is only a stepping stone to 100% Gold. Eventually, If/when the gold silver ratio drops, I'll be offloading nearly all my silver and buying lots of shiny sovereigns. You can nearly always find buyers for sovs at spot or very close to spot, and storage is reduced tremendously, which helps with security. 

I certainly hope not BUT according to Whitechurch Securities ( www.whitechurchfc.co.uk ) latest report to investors Q3 - 2014 page 3 they say " We hold a negative view on investment in gold ...."

Quite a contrast to all the bullshit from other financial advisors about 6 months or so ago, emailing every day, saying sell your house and invest everything you own into gold because the world is about to implode ..

Its a classic case of they would say that wouldn't they,as they'll be earning commission for selling you something wether its in your best interests or not.

I've said before and I'll say it again don't put all your eggs in one basket.DYOR and make decisions for yourself.

The problem with common sense is, its not that common.

• 3 weeks later...

I see Goldman Sachs has reiterated their 1050oz call for this year even though so far they've been way off the mark. Personally I don't believe it will ever fall below 1200 ish again and will in due course see new heights.

I see Goldman Sachs has reiterated their 1050oz call for this year even though so far they've been way off the mark. Personally I don't believe it will ever fall below 1200 ish again and will in due course see new heights.

I'll have to agree with you there Stretch, most bankers try to discredit gold because they know it's the alternative safe place to put our money, way safer than the banks at the moment, their biggest fear in the general public understanding this and withdrawing their money to store in gold.

Actually the ex Goldman Sachs vice chairman well known for bad mouthing gold has recently joined Barrick gold as a director, I think that's all we need to know as to where their real feelings lie.   

I'll have to agree with you there Stretch, most bankers try to discredit gold because they know it's the alternative safe place to put our money,

They can't use your money if you have it stored at home

They want it so they can lend it out and use it for whatever they feel like gambling on. 

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

• 3 months later...

Looking at their site I don't think it would be in their interest to tell us gold's a good investment, they probably want us to put the money in one of their pensions, personally speaking I'd say gold's the best and safest pension there is.

im no professional or investment guru but surely you are correct in the way that something physical is better than normal a normal style pension, my relatives got stung by the greedy cat Robert Maxwell and the pensions robbery when they worked for his newspaper group, all their cash gone in a flash, where as physical gold even if it were to be completely zero balance IMO would still be something of physical value and eventually go up

plus I reckon someone would be easier to sell yer gold to rather than yer pension

maybe im wrong but it would just feel more secure and safer in my eyes

im no professional or investment guru but surely you are correct in the way that something physical is better than normal a normal style pension, my relatives got stung by the greedy cat Robert Maxwell and the pensions robbery when they worked for his newspaper group, all their cash gone in a flash, where as physical gold even if it were to be completely zero balance IMO would still be something of physical value and eventually go up

plus I reckon someone would be easier to sell yer gold to rather than yer pension

maybe im wrong but it would just feel more secure and safer in my eyes

A lot of us here are collecting gold and silver as a form of pension. Hoping to sell our gold and silver, (fingers crossed at higher prices than we paid for them) bit by bit on a weekly or monthly basis, to "top up" our normal pensions. However you have to think of storage and security, do you really want to be a 70 year old walking down to the cash for gold or silver dealer with 2kg of silver in your bag, or 1 ounce of gold tucked discreetly in your pocket.

I will have bought about 100 kg of silver by the time I retire, but before I start to spend any of my stack, I will be converting it all into gold coins, both for easier storage and movement.

My 15 years of saving gold and silver, I'm hoping will pay for at least the first 15 years of my retirement. Once I get to 80, I'm going to move in with my kids, (although they don't know it yet.... :)

I will have bought about 100 kg of silver by the time I retire, but before I start to spend any of my stack, I will be converting it all into gold coins, both for easier storage and movement.

Have you figured out the size requirement of your safe(s) or secret hiding place(s) to house100kg of Ag - I reckon on over half a cubic metre in volume, unless all stackable bars !

Have you figured out the size requirement of your safe(s) or secret hiding place(s) to house100kg of Ag - I reckon on over half a cubic metre in volume, unless all stackable bars !

I won't have to house it all, because although I will have bought about 100Kg of silver over the 15 years (depending on prices of course), I am hoping to switch it to gold at various stages over the next 15 years.

I've been looking at prices that silver coins of previous years have attained, The cheaper bullion like Maples and ASE's etc which don't change images rarely increase in price much after 3 or 4 years. After all a 2011 ASE is not much different in price to a 2007 ASE. So I'm aiming to "recycle" my silver into gold whenever spot or the gold silver ratio makes it economical and profitable to do so. Selling the silver I bought at a cheaper price, taking the profit when and if I can, and turning it into gold. It may mean that I may only hold a few years worth of silver at any one time. I am vary wary of both the storage and security angle of holding silver, which is why I want to concentrate on the gold, but I'm also wary of the fact that silver may "go to the moon"  and I don't want to miss the ride, so I want to have some silver to "play with"

However when I retire I do not want to have any silver whatsoever, and i want it all in gold whatever the prices are. Like you say, hiding 100kg of silver will be a nightmare, but hiding the equivalent of about 40oz's of gold will be a piece of cake. :)

Update ........had to do a bit of maths here :)

Thinking about how much space 250 x 15 = 3750 oz will take, I did a bit of checking. Monster boxes of ASE's usually hold 500 ounces,

https://www.texmetals.com/silver-eagle-monster-box

SUSE1zBU_MB_open.jpg

so I'd need the equivalent of up to 8 of them. The dimensions of such boxes are 38cm x 22cm x 12cm = 0.01 cubic metres. 8 of these would be 0.08 cubic metres, not 0.5 cubic metres........

So I would only need to get a couple of 40 litre plastic tubs to store all 15 years worth of silver. Ok, so i wouldn't be able to lift them without probably breaking the tubs, but you get my point with regards to storage

That's actually less in size than I thought. MMMM food for thought there. I may have to reconsider my plans again....LOL

• 3 weeks later...

Changed my mind since I made this post. I acknowledge now that Goldman Sachs may have had good foresight and unforseen circumstances like Ukraine have kept the price up.

Archived