• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

In reply to the ‘Beginning to Stack 2024’ topic

Hi everyone, 

I’ve found the replies to this very interesting as I’ve recently started collecting silver as well. I’ve started with 1oz Britannia’s but have started buying other coins like the myths and legends ones and coronation ones from the RM. What’s everyone’s opinion on these? Are they worth it? I’m looking at keeping these long term for my kids.

• Founder & Administrator

I’ve moved this into its own topic as you are asking some question and it warrants its own topic :) 

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

Is it worth it ? Do you enjoy collecting them ?

Are you buying purely as an investment ?

Only you can tell. Personally I collect what I like and if I sell one day at a profit all good. 

Edited by Pm1987

1 hour ago, Monty101 said:

Hi everyone, 

I’ve found the replies to this very interesting as I’ve recently started collecting silver as well. I’ve started with 1oz Britannia’s but have started buying other coins like the myths and legends ones and coronation ones from the RM. What’s everyone’s opinion on these? Are they worth it? I’m looking at keeping these long term for my kids.

Honestly not sure!

Ive collected different year 1oz Britannias because it’s something I wanted to do! 

Are they worth it? I buy second hand so the open market dictates the price, so yes my second hand Britannias are worth it!

Are RM new coins worth it? Some are, some aren’t but the 20% VAT & are RM premium for me often means no! My first ever purchase a 10oz bull of Clarence bought during a RM reduction for £300 is worth around £250 now. I think it will be a long time till it’s worth what I paid.

Dont get me wrong, some silver RM coins will do well but I think these are rare instances and not the norm.

Some RM gold bullion prices I think are good and in the future should definitely be worth more but this is mainly due to gold price increase rather than numismatic value.

The recent G&D coins are a good example of a silver and gold RM coin being well received & attracting really good secondary market value.

Just my 2 cents and worth noting I’m only 4 months into all of this!

As previously mentioned by @Pm1987 do you enjoy collecting them / investment reasons? My silver collection/stack is a mix, I started collecting silver Britannias purely as a collection, then stacked a few, then collected various coins, rounds and bars. Hopefully in the future if I sell, then I will make money, however, I prefer now to buy gold!😮🤔🤔

I own stocks and shares and even some crypto so owning actual physical silver is something I’m really enjoying. 
Maybe I should look into buying my silver on the second hand market as I currently buy on RM , so probably paying over the odds.

Still learning, so Thanks for the feed back, appreciate it!

1 minute ago, Monty101 said:

I own stocks and shares and even some crypto so owning actual physical silver is something I’m really enjoying. 
Maybe I should look into buying my silver on the second hand market as I currently buy on RM , so probably paying over the odds.

Still learning, so Thanks for the feed back, appreciate it!

🤔😮😮get buying on here! You need a paid membership so you can see the deals straight away otherwise… they’re gone😮🤔

A good example being the rm liberty brit will set you back £30 odd quid on their website. @theman73 is selling the same thing for around £25. 

Sorry to lazy to get exact figures but around those prices. 

@Monty101 

I refuse to buy silver with 20% VAT added on top. It doesn't make sense to have to make 20% return to break even on your investment. If you bought gold you could give it back to the dealer on the same day and incur a much smaller loss than with silver. I love silver but only secondary market silver. It's a riskier investment than gold but hey, no risk, no reward. 

I think any CGT-exempt coin (legal tender from Royal Mint, things with a face value like £1, £2, £100, etc) is a good buy for the long term if you avoid VAT (secondary market) and get them at a decent premium (see @Pm1987's comment)

I love silver and am very bullish on silver but I'm trying to be realistic. I keep a mix of lots of different types of silver

A numismatic piece might be worth £50 when spot is £20/oz but could still be worth £50 or even go up in value if spot drops to £18

I have a core stack of CGT-exempt silver like Britannias, myths and legends, royal arms, etc. I'm planning on keeping those forever. I mostly buy foreign silver now though, Perth Mint is maybe my favourite along with KOMSCO and Germania. I'm hoping the numismatic premium is greater than the CGT penalty, it might not work out that way though 🤷‍♂️

Mind is primary and mass-energy is derivative

I personally found my stacking and collecting objectives have changed over time. I've always enjoyed the coins, bars and items I've bought but I learned with time tthatthere is more to stacking and collecting. Also thinking about practicalities for myself and my own objectives, etc. 

I grew apart from most coins and bars I've bought. Selling at the right time. Only certain things make it to the deep stack nowadays and it's things that I enjoy, appreciate, find appealing or interesting, and items relating to my stacking strategy.

To reach this I've been through different cycles of finding what I like. Venturing to different places with my humble stack.

Always shipping with re-used or biodegradable packaging.

Looking to sell some items to fund a holiday. I've got some items for sale. PM me or check my profile if interested: Hitler's 3rd Reich 2 Reichsmark Coins, Roman Imperial Denarii and Other silver coins/items.