• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Help with Roman coin please

A friend of mine purchased this coin from a local dealer and is now doubting it’s authenticity.

All he knows is that it is Emperor Trajan, and was told it weighs 2.5 grams and is silver.

He’s not too bothered as he apparently didn’t pay a lot, but for the sake of his curiosity, he’d like to know if anyone online could give their opinions.

I offered to ask on TSF.

TIA for any help (and jokes!) 😀

cb48b191-1e87-4ef0-9074-c7cfb2ef642f.thumb.jpeg.57bcb6cfe17499bd05964314863e972b.jpeg

37a4df45-ec17-4780-9947-f88aad51275c.thumb.jpeg.37b6ecb5bcad52edf0e554dce29eec55.jpeg

b7ce4896-66e3-4b7a-966f-0c2c3bd8e9c8.thumb.jpeg.a7c444af331bb4e4cfe02e0989ff8470.jpeg

b507e2eb-180b-4e02-804f-5897a0cb485b.thumb.jpeg.3dcab3780d1b943889020f61e5093ae5.jpeg

Personally, I am not an expert on ancient coins.

There is a wide variation on styles / varieties.  

I won’t name here but there are other forums for ancient coins that may be able to help.  PM me if needed. 

Not my circus, not my monkeys

Can I see the edge and weight?

Definately Trajan

The roman empire's territory reached its peak under trajan, the beginning of the end

Ad lunam, ad opes ac felicitatem.

"Put the soup down. Today is a caviar day."    -James32

At 2.5g I'd be concerned as to why its so light with minimal wear. Roman coins weigh 2.5g - 4g depending on era and wear. (For a denarii like this) This is the absolute minimal weight.

Definately struck not cast to the best I can tell from the images provided.

Edited by Upsidedown

Ad lunam, ad opes ac felicitatem.

"Put the soup down. Today is a caviar day."    -James32

15 minutes ago, Upsidedown said:

Can I see the edge and weight?

Definately Trajan

The roman empire's territory reached its peak under trajan, the beginning of the end

I’ll ask for more pics and post here. Thanks so much for offering advice.

image.thumb.png.3daffe3c544ecd7cded4aa799737f96d.png

this one

ROMAN EMPIRE AR denarius 107-108 A.D. Trajan / Trajanus - Rome mint - trophy of Dacian arms & scarce bust type on obv VF+ / EF-light steelgrey toning-scarce / rare bust

https://www.ma-shops.co.uk/gin/item.php?id=5486

Grade: VF+ / EF-light steelgrey toning-scarce / rare bust | Abbreviations
Material: Silver
Weight: 3.31 g
Diameter: 18.50 mm

Obverse: IMP TRAIANO AVG GER DAC PM TR P laureate head to right of Trajan with drapery on far shoulder

Reverse: COS V P P SPQR OPTIMO PRINC Trophy of Dacian arms facing

Edited by GoldDiggerDave