• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

South Africa 1880 war medal - advice

Hi all

Seeking advice on this medal I've taken possession of. Plenty of information on Google but I haven't seen any that confirm the composition other than 'silver'. 

It tests on the Sigma within the brackets for 90% US

I assume it's real given that it is silver, as all of the reproduction medals I've seen don't look as good and are base metal. 

And of course, most importantly, what's it worth?! 

20240101_101616.jpg

20240101_101622.jpg

www.fyldecoins.co.uk

1877 to 1879 Zulu wars. You need to check up on the name that is on it. This is easy to do and can add value. Unfortunately it is obviously missing bits otherwise could have been worth four figures. In that condition hard to say😮🤔

Thanks @Petra

Unfortunately no clasp or ribbon. 

It also has no evidence of a name around the rim. Whether this was due to someone removing it, I don't know. It does have a concave shape to the rim though 

www.fyldecoins.co.uk

1 hour ago, iacabu said:

Thanks @Petra

Unfortunately no clasp or ribbon. 

It also has no evidence of a name around the rim. Whether this was due to someone removing it, I don't know. It does have a concave shape to the rim though 

mmm… no name either, should be 36mm diameter, if less, along with no name and number, probably taken off for some reason? Looking more like an addition to the scrap pile or kept as a novelty 😮🤔unlucky 🤔

2 hours ago, iacabu said:

haven't seen any that confirm the composition other than 'silver'. 

It tests on the Sigma within the brackets for 90% US

I assume it's real given that it is silver, as all of the reproduction medals I've seen don't look as good and are base metal. 

And of course, most importantly, what's it worth?!

Same here, sources just state silver. I've always assumed that British silver medals were Sterling, I think it's odd if they're not, but then again they're not hallmarked.
I have a medal price guide book from 2010, so a tad out of date 🤣 but the lowest price stated is "£250-300".
The lack of any engraving around the rim warrants further research as it should state the name & unit.

Progress is a myth. Democracy is a sham. Dumbing down is real.
Throw your mobile 'phone in the bin, it will free you!
Turn your TV off, cancel your licence.
USE CASH WHEREVER POSSIBLE.

Personally I believe that on Ebay, if well photographed and well listed, it would make far, far more than it's scrap value.

8 minutes ago, Earthmetal said:

Personally I believe that on Ebay, if well photographed and well listed, it would make far, far more than it's scrap value.

Good idea👍

8 minutes ago, Sovhead said:

Then he’ll have to pay HMRC…..

Why?

Just now, Sovhead said:

Depends on how high it sells for with the new HMRC tax implications.

I don't know anything about them, but I sell regularly on Ebay and have never had to pay anything to HMRC.

4 minutes ago, Earthmetal said:

I don't know anything about them, but I sell regularly on Ebay and have never had to pay anything to HMRC.

Have a read of the HMRC thread for future bud 👍🏻

I think Ebay may be the right place for this one. 

Perhaps will ping a couple of emails to some dealers too. 

Measures at 36mm, but the concave rim around most of the medal shows that someone has removed some of it. 

Weighs in at 29.70g

Hopefully this video shows it off a bit more.  

www.fyldecoins.co.uk

• 1 month later...

Little update for anyone interested. 

The medal sold tonight on Ebay for £97 minus fees. 

I did have an early offer of £120, which in hindsight.... 

But I'm very happy with the result considering it owes me next to nothing 

www.fyldecoins.co.uk