• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Ahoy there...

1 hour ago, Bigmarc said:

This is probably the best way to buy in my opinion. If you have this on your doorstep then I would say it was the safest option. And if he takes cash then even better. 

whats the best way of finding local coin shops?

10 minutes ago, monkey said:

whats the best way of finding local coin shops?

The one I use isn't even on Google maps. Old jewellery shops or collector shops like the op has found. Another way is to go to your local coin fair and pick up business cards. You could also put a post out on here for any recommendations, if you don't want to publicly disclose your location then do it in the premium members section. 

It's good to have a face to face business that you regularly buy from. Any issues you can go to them. Also good to strike up a rapour with the as you may need to sell fast one day. 

I was just on an outing one Sunday afternoon, I initially went into the shop to see the rare 50p's and to see if they had a complete QEII Royal Arms definitive set of uncirculated coins. I suddenly remembered what the ex-landlord of our local said and asked to see some sovereigns. Seeing 100s of coins, 1000s of pounds worth of gold sovereigns in front of me just blew my mind. I was very tempted to walk out the shop with at least 10 but I didn't know the first thing about them. The chap very kindly explained about the benefits of owning soverigns which really peaked my interest. It was very informative and I haven't stopped thinking and researching about it since. He showed me that his prices were better than Bullion by Post at the time, although when I got home and looked some more on the interwebs I could see this coins weren't the cheapest and would probably be classified as best value. But in some ways that doesn't matter, it would be a good thing to build relationships with a local coin dealers. There are actually a couple of them around in my area.

1 hour ago, Bigmarc said:

Another way is to go to your local coin fair

Genius! I wish I'd thought of that before, I've always had an interest in coins. I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for coin fairs from now on. 😉

Edited by Kitalon

2 minutes ago, Kitalon said:

I was just on an outing one Sunday afternoon, I initially went into the shop to see the rare 50p's and to see if they had a complete QEII Royal Arms definitive set of uncirculated coins. I suddenly remembered what the ex-landlord of our local said and asked to see some sovereigns. Seeing 100s of coins, 1000s of pounds worth of gold sovereigns in front of me just blew my mind. I was very tempted to walk out the shop with at least 10 but I didn't know the first thing about them. The chap very kindly explained about the benefits of owning soverigns which really peaked my interest. It was very informative and I haven't stopped thinking and researching about it about it since. He showed me that his prices were better than Bullion by Post at the time, although when I got home and looked some more on the interwebs I could see this coins weren't the cheapest and would probably be classified as best value. But in some ways that doesn't matter, it would be a good thing to build relationships with a local coin dealers. There are actually a couple of them around in my area.

Genius! I wish I'd thought of that before, I've always had an interest in coins. I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for coin fairs from now on. 😉

There is a regular coin fair in the midlands (Birmingham I think) and in London. 

Do a search on the forum and you will find which one you want. 

Welcome along. 

I started my interest with 50ps and £2. 

Got the silver bug collecting circulation Canadian and British silver now collecting whatever I like the look of with a bit of nice precious metal content in it. 

Even went down the route of some nice gold 50p and £2's now. I've made many gold and silver mistakes in the past. But they will work themselves out financially in the future I'm sure. I've learned so much just reading quietly in the background from this forum. Only been here 6 months or so and really enjoying it. Wish I had signed up years ago! 

It's getting expensive but well worth it even for the enjoyment factor. 😅

On 11/12/2023 at 21:11, Petra said:

Try any local antique centres, there is usually someone selling coins in amongst everything else🤔

Well I've now scouted all the charity shops and jewellers in town (but no antique centres here) asking for "Old coins" and sovereigns and today I actually had a result. I've discovered somewhere local that even has sovereigns in stock, albeit at quite a hefty premium, however there is potential to sell at a good price there when/if the time comes to it - granted that I own no gold or silver at this stage. I've also uncovered someone who wants me to look at her father's old coin collection - I'm a bit out of my depth but in for a penny in for a pound, I can at least take a look at them for her. My hunt for sovereigns and shiny things continues... 😁

1 hour ago, Kitalon said:

Well I've now scouted all the charity shops and jewellers in town (but no antique centres here) asking for "Old coins" and sovereigns and today I actually had a result. I've discovered somewhere local that even has sovereigns in stock, albeit at quite a hefty premium, however there is potential to sell at a good price there when/if the time comes to it - granted that I own no gold or silver at this stage. I've also uncovered someone who wants me to look at her father's old coin collection - I'm a bit out of my depth but in for a penny in for a pound, I can at least take a look at them for her. My hunt for sovereigns and shiny things continues... 😁

Keep it up! Trust me, you’re never far from an antique centre nowadays. Get googling😮

Hehe yes quite true. I think I've found a new pastime, I've discovered that I'm a numismatic at heart and I never knew it. I love old coins but now I be searchin' for treasure there-in. I have actually just bought my first sovereign and can't wait for it to arrive. I guess I've officially joined the club. ☺️

1 minute ago, Kitalon said:

Hehe yes quite true. I think I've found a new pastime, I've discovered that I'm a numismatic at heart and I never knew it. I love old coins but now I be searchin' for treasure there-in. I have actually just bought my first sovereign and can't wait for it to arrive. I guess I've officially joined the club. ☺️

👍👍

8 minutes ago, Kitalon said:

It's awesome getting your first pieces. What did you buy, where did you buy it and how much did you pay, if you don't mind me asking?

Mind is primary and mass-energy is derivative

OK, as requested here's a picture of my first (not) sovereign.

It's pretty and shiny so I'm guessing that it's a proof coin. I got it for just under spot on the day. Yes yes, it's Gibraltar mint, not a 'real' sovereign, will never be worth much and all that but I really like the Florin design on the reverse. I'm enjoying having it on my sideboard where I can look at it everyday and feel happy that I've got some gold. I suppose gold is gold at the end of they day. It's also sent me off on something of an unexpected tangent looking into collecting pre-decimal coins. 😄

2016GibraltarQEII90thbirthdaysovereign.png

Ahh just helping out a fellow TSF member. It was purely ulturistic. I was watching it dropping over time, I think it started north of £400. I said to myself if it goes down to spot I'll help the fella out. OK and I need to start gaining a trading rep here too. 😉

I've just put in an order for the 2023 UK New Definitive BU Set to reward myself for my good deeds. 😆

Edited by Kitalon

1 minute ago, Kitalon said:

Ahh just helping out a fellow TSF member. It was purely ulturistic. I was watching it dropping over time, I think it started north of £400. I said to myself if it goes down to spot I'll help the fella out. OK and I need to start gaining a trading rep too here too. 😉

I've just put in an order for the 2023 UK New Definitive BU Set to reward myself for my good deeds. 😆

Nice gold coin. Hope you haven’t bought the BU set from the mint? Cheaper elsewhere 🤔😮️Don’t forget to look around a bit when considering buying. The odd place can be cheaper than even on here .. depending on what you’re currently after!🤔

• 4 weeks later...

I've got another nice little Lizzie now. :)20240114_135308.thumb.JPG.2bd1579955694be999c5cc15e15b18dc.JPG

20240114_135245.thumb.JPG.3b434a411db5192039816aceb9381d2d.JPG

Just been waiting for the right sunny day to catch the light. It's an absolute work of art! Photos just don't do it justice. I watched her Majesty's Christmas Broadcast to the nation from 1957 on YT, really moving.

In the old days the monarch led his soldiers on the battlefield and his leadership at all times was close and personal. 

Today things are very different. I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations. 

I believe in our qualities and in our strength, I believe that together we can set an example to the world which will encourage upright people everywhere.

Edited by Kitalon

10 minutes ago, Kitalon said:

I've got another nice little Lizzie now. :)20240114_135308.thumb.JPG.2bd1579955694be999c5cc15e15b18dc.JPG

20240114_135245.thumb.JPG.3b434a411db5192039816aceb9381d2d.JPG

Just been waiting for the right sunny day to catch the light. It's an absolute work of art! Photos just don't do it justice. I watched her Majestie's Christmas Broadcast to the nation from 1957 on YT, really moving.

In the old days the monarch led his soldiers on the battlefield and his leadership at all times was close and personal. 

Today things are very different. I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations. 

I believe in our qualities and in our strength, I believe that together we can set an example to the world which will encourage upright people everywhere.

I’ve got the same one! The detail & clarity of the design almost make it look printed on! It’s only when you get it at an angle you can see the depth of the design. A very nice coin indeed 👍🏼