• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Where do you start with fancy sovereigns?? Or East India Guineas?

ShropshireTom

I’ve had lots of bullion sovereigns over the years and enjoy them but, ultimately, they have always just been bullion to me as none of have been rare or old enough or obscure enough to carry much of a premium.

I have started thinking about getting coins I enjoy that will hold their premium but where do you start with the Sovereigns? I’ve read so much my head is spinning. I’m leaning towards proof full sovs with the box and COA but the half are also really nice coins…..

Then I’ve just seen in the for sale section East India Company Guineas at £420 each with no box or COA which is keenly priced at the moment. I don’t see them very often (but haven’t been looking….) and thought they were interesting and might be a good start to a narrower and less bewildering array.

What do people collect on here? And what advice would you give to someone relatively well versed in bullion PM’s moving into the proof world?

At this rate I’m feeling I’ll revert to type and just end up buying Libertads again as I love them 🤣

25 minutes ago, Olivard said:

I do like the double sovereign for special years. These designs can be complex (especially the 2022 memorial) and the size of a double sovereign highlights the intricate work.

That’s great info. I’ve not looked at the doubles - will have a look 👍🏻

Shields in UNC cindition should be fancy enough and tend to keep the premium. I think any sovereign in that grade before 1911 will attract some premium as long as the eye appeal is good, but not too large a premium obviously.

There are rare year and mint mark combinations. Some are more accessible (1916, 1910C, etc) and others at the higher end (1908C, 1917, 1923SA). Really there is a fine line between bullion and collectible sovereigns, and instead of thinking where to start (it starts anywhere) you'd better think where to end (1819, 1920S).

Some mentioned doubles above. My experience is that single and five are always the most popular. If you have big money go for quintuples, or else stick with single. People tend to buy doubles and halves only to complete sets unless they're very rare.

For modern proof ones, you'd usually be better off having two singles than a double or a piedfort.

If we do the right thing this time, we might have to do the right thing again next time.

Bullion double sovereigns are a nice addition to a stack or collection, especially if you can pick them up reasonably cheaply.  They're a great size for admiring the designs, without the increased cost of a proof or quintuple.  I have also done this for the recent special designs of 2022-3 and I bought the 2020 coin when they revived the double sovereign in bullion.

But I agree that it makes more financial sense to choose two singles over a double, and I'm unlikely to buy any more until the next special design.