• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

I have a space that is 24" wide by 20" deep (shut it @HerefordBullyun, I know what you are thinking) and would like to create a photo booth that will give me more room to take pics than the portable LED lit one that I currently use.

What is the best way to go about it in terms of lighting, material to use, coating for non-reflection.

What is the best way to set it up? I was thinking of the LED strip lights you can buy. Would this work and how much lighting would i need and at what position? Is more better? Would lighting from in front make the reflection off a proof better or worse?

And anything else that could make a difference on this topic...

Edited by Mox

Mox Metals Logo Small.jpg  moxmetals.co.uk

Ethically sourced, 100% recycled .999 silver bars & other precious metal coins, bars and collectables.

(Mox, crowned The Silver Forums number one hairy chest in the Northwest - as voted for by @CazLikesCoins, a lady who's seen more than her fair share, allegedly...)

There's a lot to unpack here.

My personal opinion of the LED strips or lighting clusters in the little portable photo booths, is that they are a waste of time.  The Neewer one I use (see my photo gear review), has them on the roof of the box, but I never use it.  In the same thread, I describe the lights I do use, which I would recommend.

Having small, diffuse, powerful portable lights on little tripods, is what I have found to be best.  It gives you loads of flexibility on how to angle the coin for the best composition and best light.  If your light is fixed, you will always be compromised, where when the coins is at the nicest angle, it is poorly lit, and vice versa.  Plus, proper photography lights give you a known temperature, making the whole colour balance thing in your other question much easier to handle.

12 Beginner Tips for Better Coin Photos

Everything you need to take great coin photos

Douglas Hubbard: Never attribute to malice or stupidity that which can be explained by moderately rational individuals following incentives in a complex system of interactions.

Carl Sagan: One of the great commandments of science is, "Mistrust arguments from authority."

I don't use a booth at all - my setup can just go onto my desk in front of the computer as I need to use it.  Here's a photo from a couple of different angles.  The ring light provides background lighting, and a panel or spot from the top or side provides directional lighting.  @Charliemouse is likely a bit more sophisticated about this stuff than I am, but most of my photos since I got the camera a few months ago have been done like this - either this or through an axial lighting box (not pictured here).

Since then I've bought a little lazy Susan, which sits on the stack of books and allows adjusting the orientation of the coin more easily. This cost a few quid of Amazon.

image.thumb.jpeg.f5b8de1db44144db67ecbd0e39a50574.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.4faad93ed507d67388795f4752a391b2.jpeg

The Sovereign is the quintessentially British coin.  It has a German queen on the front, an Italian waiter on the back, and half of them were made in Australia.

It's more important to have a 'booth' if the room has natural light or you cannot control the lighting quality (position / brightness / temperature) easily.  One of the portable photo booths, that are available in a lot of different sizes, 

I use the included matte black paper to cover the floor and rear.  The sides and top are diffuse reflectors, which work well to catch the lights so that any spill is softly reflected back.

I prefer black as a background, since it allows more lighting options highlighting the subject.  Navy blue works well as an alternative, for both gold and silver.

12 Beginner Tips for Better Coin Photos

Everything you need to take great coin photos

Douglas Hubbard: Never attribute to malice or stupidity that which can be explained by moderately rational individuals following incentives in a complex system of interactions.

Carl Sagan: One of the great commandments of science is, "Mistrust arguments from authority."

Cookies & terms of service

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. By continuing to use this site you consent to the use of cookies and to our Privacy Policy & Terms of Use