• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Background Affect On Gold/Silver

What is the affect of different coloured backgrounds on how gold and silver appear in photos?

Sometimes a coin/bar looks great, sometimes it looks sh*t.

What are colours to avoid?

Does where a colour is on the spectrum define its affect on the subject matter? Is it graded from white through to black on its level of impact?

And any other things that might help with this topic...

Mox Metals Logo Small.jpg  moxmetals.co.uk

Ethically sourced, 100% recycled .999 silver bars & other precious metal coins, bars and collectables.

(Mox, crowned The Silver Forums number one hairy chest in the Northwest - as voted for by @CazLikesCoins, a lady who's seen more than her fair share, allegedly...)

12 minutes ago, Mox said:

What is the affect of different coloured backgrounds on how gold and silver appear in photos?

Sometimes a coin/bar looks great, sometimes it looks sh*t.

What are colours to avoid?

Does where a colour is on the spectrum define its affect on the subject matter? Is it graded from white through to black on its level of impact?

And any other things that might help with this topic...

This is something I had trouble with as well.  The camera will automatically calibrate its colour balance based on what it sees in the background.  In order to do this, it's making a sort of intelligent guess about the lighting.  For a typical photo scene it normally gets this right, but for things like macro photography of a coin, it's easily confused, particularly when the coin is filling most of the shot.

You can fix this by getting a grey card (this is what it's called), which is a calibrated neutral grey colour.  You can buy one for a few quid off Amazon.

Put this in the camera's field of view, and the camera will calibrate on it.  Somewhere there will be a control to lock the white balance, possibly hidden in a menu somewhere.  Lock the white balance while pointing at the grey card, and you should get a sensible white balance that renders the gold colour of the coin correctly.

@Charliemouse has a guide that goes into this in a bit more depth.

Edited by Silverlocks

The Sovereign is the quintessentially British coin.  It has a German queen on the front, an Italian waiter on the back, and half of them were made in Australia.

7 minutes ago, Silverlocks said:

The camera will automatically calibrate its colour balance based on what it sees in the background.  In order to do this, it's making a sort of intelligent guess about the lighting.  For a typical photo scene it normally gets this right, but for things like macro photography of a coin, it's easily confused, particularly when the coin is filling most of the shot.

You can fix this by getting a grey card (this is what it's called), which is a calibrated neutral grey colour.  You can buy one for a few quid off Amazon.

Put this in the camera's field of view, and the camera will calibrate on it.  Somewhere there will be a control to lock the white balance, possibly hidden in a menu somewhere.  Lock the white balance while pointing at the grey card, and you should get a sensible white balance that renders the gold colour of the coin correctly.

It can get expensive! Would this work and which of the four options would be best to buy?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anwenk-Balance-Exposure-Photography-Calibration/dp/B074W1VF2Y/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?keywords=grey%2Bcard%2Bphotography&sr=8-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&th=1

Mox Metals Logo Small.jpg  moxmetals.co.uk

Ethically sourced, 100% recycled .999 silver bars & other precious metal coins, bars and collectables.

(Mox, crowned The Silver Forums number one hairy chest in the Northwest - as voted for by @CazLikesCoins, a lady who's seen more than her fair share, allegedly...)

4 minutes ago, Mox said:

I think this the one I got.  It wasn't very expensive and it's fine for small subjects like coins.  Mine is just the small one.

If you want to photograph larger subjects like stacks of silver bars you might want to get one of the bigger cards.

Edited by Silverlocks

The Sovereign is the quintessentially British coin.  It has a German queen on the front, an Italian waiter on the back, and half of them were made in Australia.

Yep, @Silverlocks is right.

Getting a grey card will definitely help.  I would recommend getting one from a brand that make other camera equipment, rather than just a random no-name brand off Amazon - just in case the card is low quality and it introduces a colour bias.  They're only a few quid.

If you are in control of the light, i.e. no windows, then you don't need to use the grey card very often.  You can just occasionally get a colour temperature reading, and then use the same setting for all the photos.

In my particular case, I have photography lights with a known kelvin rating, so I can just set that on all my photos.

12 Beginner Tips for Better Coin Photos

Everything you need to take great coin photos

Douglas Hubbard: Never attribute to malice or stupidity that which can be explained by moderately rational individuals following incentives in a complex system of interactions.

Carl Sagan: One of the great commandments of science is, "Mistrust arguments from authority."

6 hours ago, Mox said:

Yeah, this is OK.  Just get the smallest one.  You may want to fit it into the corner of the frame of a macro shot, so a smaller one is ideal.

12 Beginner Tips for Better Coin Photos

Everything you need to take great coin photos

Douglas Hubbard: Never attribute to malice or stupidity that which can be explained by moderately rational individuals following incentives in a complex system of interactions.

Carl Sagan: One of the great commandments of science is, "Mistrust arguments from authority."

Cookies & terms of service

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. By continuing to use this site you consent to the use of cookies and to our Privacy Policy & Terms of Use