• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Projected value of gold stack

GrayMan

Hi,

My stack consists of Brits and sovs. I have a Excel formula to calculate the total value of my stack which uses the current spot price minus 5%.
Is this too pesamistic? What formula are you using to calculate the current value of your stack? 

I want to make sure I have an accurate figure as possible.

If I do need to sell then I plan to sell to a bullion dealer. I know it's possible to sell on this forum before anyone mentions it. What are the average percentage above / below spot that I'm likely to get for 1 oz Brits and standard sovs?

Thank you 

6 minutes ago, GrayMan said:

What are the average percentage above / below spot that I'm likely to get for 1 oz Brits and standard sovs?

https://atkinsonsbullion.com/sell-to-us/gold/gold-coins?page=1&pageFilters=1245&nid=20813&sort=featured&perPage=24&isSelling=True&facets=1245

To start you off there's an example of what one dealer is paying.

10 minutes ago, GrayMan said:

What formula are you using to calculate the current value of your stack?

Spot x weight = current value

Projecting the value on an unspecified date in the future might need a crystal ball. 

To be honest, I value current price on my stack based on spot price for gold and spot plus 20% on the silver. Only things I keep outside of this calculation are a handful of proofs that I fix at purchase price. To me, the spot calculation starts me off on a worst case scenario (bear in mind I won’t cash out via dealers) and truthfully, I know the stack holds greater value than that upon resale

Myself I just use spot. You should get at least spot for Sovereigns and Britannia's If only for their CGT status. Then with a little research you may find one that has a bit of a premium attached to it for it's rarity.

With my collection I started with just bullion and bullion prices. As time has gone on I have started to get some that are a bit more numismatic with an aim to keep my £cost average about the price of a bullion sovereign. Then If there are any poor coins that will get knocked on the price at least I have some better coins that command a higher premium. 

There are many decent dealers out there that will give you spot price as the brit and the sov are easy to flip. Just steer clear of the likes of cash converters and the like.  

Spot minus 5% would certainly be pessimistic, even BBP do 4% under for Sovs currently, and their sister-site GOLD is 3% under spot, and both were offering 100% for Sovs earlier this year. I believe Chards are offering around spot at the moment still. If you want to go cautious then I'd be saying 3% under as a minimum you can get from a dealer easily, but I imagine spot price would be achievable from at least one dealer.