• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Quality control on proof coins

Has the quality control always been this poor in regards to proof coins from directly from main mints, i.e., Royal mint? Or is it because they have been changing design so much of late?

I have recently received 2 of the new KCII proof quarter sovereigns, both of which have now had to be sent back for replacement because of damage to the coins.

Both were scratched and marked and, in general, not what you would expect for a premium product. 

I had a similar experience when ordering the IOM coronation coin from another mint. That went back for a refund.

These have been my first experiences with buying proof coins, and I'm not too impressed. 

If you're after the best quality, It seems better to wait a while and buy a graded proof, once, other other people have filtered out the best of the bunch. 

it just shouldnt be like this. And we, as customers, should organize in a committee or something similar and be able to reach RM high level officers. It is not acceptable to pay such high premiums on proof coins (or Sotd or BU), to invest so much money on that and to get back suck poor products.

4 minutes ago, paulmerton said:

These sorts of problems are not new and I really haven't seen any commitment to improving anything. Receiving replacements that are also poor quality is also still happening.

Hopefully my replacements won't be damaged 🤞

1 hour ago, Goldfever20 said:

To be honest QC doesn’t exist at RM. 
Due to poor quality products I have stopped buying proof coins from RM. Graded proofs is the only way for me from now on. 

That's a shame, though. We should all be getting a near perfect piece. Thats the whole point of tge proof. They should be made accountable.

I have received one of my replacement Quarter sovereigns, and again, I am going to have to send it back. What is going on? I'm really not impressed with the quality control at Royal Mint. Hopefully, the replacement for the 2nd one comes back OK. 

3 minutes ago, REILsilver said:

I have received one of my replacement Quarter sovereigns, and again, I am going to have to send it back. What is going on? I'm really not impressed with the quality control at Royal Mint. Hopefully, the replacement for the 2nd one comes back OK. 

Wow, what's wrong with it? I had one with a strike through.