• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Different color of same year sovereign

Von

Some silver have to be because if you use only gold and copper you obtain a brown/red one, like very recent ones.

Im not good with metallurgy but i think i am safe about near all gold content (as said if weight thickness and diameter is in specific i think it has to be gold), but can have a fake-not official sovereign or have one with a little less gold.

I posted because  i was curious if someone else have some “more yellow” sovereign, and if its a polish thing or an alloy one. 

Could it not be an alloy mix issue?

I am well aware of copper spots forming on sovereigns where the copper alloy has become concentrated on the surface of some coins. If as we suspect that silver is a component part of the alloy on Gillicks, could it not be that this coin has a higher concentration of silver present in its alloy mix, or that the silver concentration is more prominent upon its surfaces?

Pure speculation.

I think it’s alloy too, but for what i know silver is present in just some part per 1000.

The fact is that I don’t see just one like this , or few os same year. Im SURE i see some (9/10 in some years) of different years, all were gillick and one or two first crown portrait.

Strange that a forgery made fakes from many different years no?

But again, maybe im too picky and i pay too much attention.

As said, a friend assured me that he have 1/2 krug wich same “problem “.

On 15/04/2023 at 16:49, Von said:

Hello, looking at these coin, i have a doubt and im a little worried, because both have diameter/weight/thickness in the specific, but even if of the same type and year, they show different color: one the usual pink/red one, the other a bright yellow.

Opinions?

thanks and sorry for my bad English…

Hi @Von. The right-hand coin looks cleaned. Possibly polished and used in jewellery. The photos aren't great so it's difficult to determine the authenticity solely from the provided photos. We would need to see it in person. 

On 15/04/2023 at 17:33, Von said:

Ok… honestly i have always payed attention at diameter/thickness and weight, but seeing them now make me question myself about colour. 

A lot of fakes have the same specification as the genuine coin. 

On 15/04/2023 at 20:36, SeverinDigsSovereigns said:

I believe Lawrence at Chards is an expert on sovereigns. He's also on the forum but I haven't seen him in a while.

We'll let him know he's being missed. 

10 minutes ago, ChardsCoinandBullionDealer said:

Hi @Von. The right-hand coin looks cleaned. Possibly polished and used in jewellery. The photos aren't great so it's difficult to determine the authenticity solely from the provided photos. We would need to see it in person. 

A lot of fakes have the same specification as the genuine coin. 

We'll let him know he's being missed. 

Thanks for the reply. I think they come from a jewelry so maybe were hard polished yes.

About fakes, fir my math even if “fake”, if dimensions and weight are correct they still be gold, or at least not much less (i dont think tungsten is a possibility)

thanks

• 3 weeks later...
On 16/04/2023 at 11:34, SidS said:

The one on the right looks cleaned to me. It can mess up how the light reflects from the coin's surface making it look different.

I agree. Looks polished to hell. A huge turn off . You can usually spot them a mile off. I'm guessing ex jewellery. 

In your opinion a pinkish patina can turn yellow after a deep polish? I cleaned some coins gently but i obtained a shiny pink color, but i think jewelers use other methods maybe.

thanks