• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Bringing American Silver into the UK

Ross87

Hi,

I'm brand new to the forum. So apologies if this is in the wrong place.

I was trying to figure out if you can legally purchase a small amount of silver VAT free in America and fly it back to the UK.

Looking at the rules, it seems like there is an allowance of £390 per person per trip:

https://www.gov.uk/bringing-goods-into-uk-personal-use/arriving-in-Great-Britain

Have I got this right? Or does this not apply to silver?

I go to Florida fairly regularly, so could pick up about 15 1oz eagles each time and stay below the limit. However I would obviously want to avoid an airport search after a long flight!

Thanks

Ross

2 hours ago, Ross87 said:

I was trying to figure out if you can legally purchase a small amount of silver VAT free in America and fly it back to the UK.

There was similar topic discussed not far ago (w/o definite answers although):

3 hours ago, Ross87 said:

Hi,

I'm brand new to the forum. So apologies if this is in the wrong place.

Looking at the rules, it seems like there is an allowance of £390 per person per trip:

https://www.gov.uk/bringing-goods-into-uk-personal-use/arriving-in-Great-Britain

Have I got this right? Or does this not apply to silver?

I go to Florida fairly regularly, so could pick up about 15 1oz eagles each time and stay below the limit. However I would obviously want to avoid an airport search after a long flight!

Thanks

Ross

I regularly do the same though going from Canada back into the UK and this is the guidance I've always followed.

Now if you're looking for a work around to bring more there is a possability to do so with silver US coinage. Silver content US dimes and quarters were and indeed still are circulating coinage so technically I don't see why you wouldn't be permitted to bring back $10000 face value of said coinage without needing to declare it.

the £390 personal allowance is correct, and that goes for every person in your party so if you were on a family holiday with a party of 4 then its £390.00 x 4

anything over needs to be declared and you pay VAT on the value over your allowance

ordering it and having it shipped over is different, you pay VAT on the lot

It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.