• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

British silver database 1816-1946

SidS

For anyone who stacks British junk silver and wants to keep a track of how many of each date/type etc. I've been playing around with various versions of this for a while. It's still not perfect, but it's a lot better than it started out.

I'm not sure how well the 'Worn Rate' calculator actually works but it's an experiment I've been running.

I've weighed a fair few coins, many different levels of wear and I hope I've narrowed down the accuracy better. Still not perfect.

This database allows you to:

1 )  Calculate the weight of what you have, both mint and worn + average it.

2 ) Calculate the face value of what you have.

3 ) Calculate the value of what you have based upon the spot price.

4 ) Show you various other probably pointless things, such as percentages of you holdings, by monarch, denomination etc.

Excel file, so it won't work on phones.

TSF-SD.xlsx

Edited by SidS

• SidS changed the title to British silver database 1816-1946
34 minutes ago, arphethean said:

Great work - if you would like to have the spreadsheet automatically update with live spot I can help you with a script for it :)

That would be cool. I haven't sussed out how to do technical things like that!

• 1 month later...
On 07/03/2023 at 09:16, arphethean said:

Great work - if you would like to have the spreadsheet automatically update with live spot I can help you with a script for it :)

I'm a very basic excel user (taught myself the absolute basics, or less).

I'm trying to insert live spot price in GBP (grams preferred but can work with TOz). What link do you use for live British prices? I've tried bullionbypost, golddotcodotuk and royalmint and none of the work. the yahoo finance link i found is just for USD.

Any pointers would be much appreciated

Gold is the money of kings, silver is the money of gentlemen, barter is the money of peasants, and debt is the money of slaves

2 minutes ago, arphethean said:

Ah, sorry, I forgot about this

I pasted the following formula into a cell in Google Sheets and it automagically pulled the spot data from BullionByPost

=IMPORTHTML("https://www.bullionbypost.co.uk/gold-price/","table",1)

I figured out how to get the chards live price table to show in the end. Good combination of insomnia and adhd. My stack tracker is looking ok. Next I’ll need to teach myself how to make it look nice, rather than looking like a plain table! Lol

Gold is the money of kings, silver is the money of gentlemen, barter is the money of peasants, and debt is the money of slaves

I hid the original formula in an unused corner of the spreadsheet used the following formula to paste the info in ounces and grams where I can easily see it and formatted it the way I wanted

=MID(U2,2,7)*1

image.png.7a3bc859f020888ceff35b903faa0a54.png