• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Release of the Flying Scotsman 2 pound coin

slack

Hello all, does anyone have any thoughts on the Flying Scotsman 2 pound coin that was released a few hours ago, I'm not super into trains but the design looks pretty good to me, at £95 the silver proof had a mintage of just under 5 thousand, I don't know how those figures stack up against   recent 2 pound coin releases but my guess is they will sell well considering the great enthusiasm for steam trains in general and the flying Scotsman in particular, and at £135 the piedfort coins were restricted to a mintage of 1923 a number to match the year it was built... a low enough mintage for it do very well I would have thought so I grabbed one for my son.. beyond this my real interest lies with the future release of the JRR Tolkien 2 pound coin..when ever that will be!, Although i suspect I'll have to be quick as the interest for that one will be pretty big I think, anyway, just some thoughts.. best wishes to all 

I just feel like these random proofs are so over priced and the resale value will likely suck

Also, the mintage is way too high to make me even care about spending the money.

I like the design, but would never over pay for a random that has no high level prestige, like a queens beast.

9 hours ago, Brassic said:

I just feel like these random proofs are so over priced and the resale value will likely suck

Also, the mintage is way too high to make me even care about spending the money.

I like the design, but would never over pay for a random that has no high level prestige, like a queens beast.

Thank you for your feedback, yes i mainly stick with sovereigns and stay well away from this sort of coin as I feel much the same as you about this type of release, rarely do i like colourized coins, they often seem very tacky to me. Unusually I did like this one and even though I bought it as a gift for my son and it didn't cost an arm and a leg I was hoping due to the huge interest in steam trains and the flying Scotsman around the world maybe a mintage of 1923 for the piedfort would be low enough for it to hold some  value, although with my level of experience in this area maybe I'm over estimating the prestige this train brings to the coin so I much appreciate you thoughts especially concerning mintage, best wishes to you

15 hours ago, bluffer said:

here is mintages of almost all of the RM releases, circs, packs, 50ps, £2 coins etc  5k is not huge but about average.   my suspicion is that the price will fall over time.

https://www.changerange.net/

Thank you for helping me out with this info, it's much appreciated, I can't find mention of the piedfort figures for the coin in question but it's a great piece of reference material for future research and all information is useful, best wishes to you

8 minutes ago, MonkeysUncle said:

I don't see anyone buying these getting rich. If you like the design then buy it, but accept it's a nice thing rather than an investment. 

Buying one of the stamps first day covers with attached coin might be the best chance to make money. 

Yes I totally agree, I usually dislike colourized coins and as a rule don't buy these sort of products, I usually stick with sovereigns and the odd Britannia but strangely I like both 2 pound coin designs in this set, I've had the Tolkien design tattooed on my shoulder for over 40 years so feel I have a bit of a connection to that one

I don't understand the market for these as they are so overpriced.

If I wanted to buy a non capital gains exempt coin it would likely be something cheaper than this like a 2023 kookaburra or this Australian Lunar Rabbit - something with quality which isn't a rip off 

2023 Australian Kookaburra 1oz Silver Coin2023 Australian Lunar Rabbit 1/2oz Silver Coin

5 hours ago, Brassic said:

I don't understand the market for these as they are so overpriced.

If I wanted to buy a non capital gains exempt coin it would likely be something cheaper than this like a 2023 kookaburra or this Australian Lunar Rabbit - something with quality which isn't a rip off 

2023 Australian Kookaburra 1oz Silver Coin2023 Australian Lunar Rabbit 1/2oz Silver Coin

Yes I agree, I have both of those, Perth mint do some real quality work don't they

9 hours ago, slack said:

Yes I agree, I have both of those, Perth mint do some real quality work don't they

I am impressed with what I've seen from Perth Mint so far. I've got a couple of 10oz silver Kookaburra's and the quality of the finish is exceptional.

8 hours ago, MBTPSilver said:

I am impressed with what I've seen from Perth Mint so far. I've got a couple of 10oz silver Kookaburra's and the quality of the finish is exceptional.

Oh wow, yes they are stunning at that size aren't they, if I wasn't mainly trying to stack gold I would definitely go for some major pieces like those.. although as a typically addictive collector type of person I've stacked far more silver then I initially intended too, but hey, what's not to like eh!

Being a not so closet crank I have purchased the piedfort because it is a choo choo and reading between the lines the NRM may be getting a small fee for the image. 

Despite the fact it is the LNER and us Western Boys who are exiled in the land of Malachite Green are hoping the mint try the City of Truro next. Or at least a King/Castle with a Pannier tank to finish. 

None of that Midland pish. 

23 hours ago, Cogload said:

Being a not so closet crank I have purchased the piedfort because it is a choo choo and reading between the lines the NRM may be getting a small fee for the image. 

Despite the fact it is the LNER and us Western Boys who are exiled in the land of Malachite Green are hoping the mint try the City of Truro next. Or at least a King/Castle with a Pannier tank to finish. 

None of that Midland pish. 

Yes I've ordered the same, let's hope it looks even better in the hand eh! They seem to have changed how long we should expect to wait for delivery a couple of times but it's now back to the original mid April estimate