• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

What can I do with junk jewellery?

I get sent random things which includes junk jewellery from time to time.

By that I mean mostly new chinese sterling silver (marked S925) with cz or mossanite, sometimes plated with gold or other stuff, the sort of cheap jewellery that sells for less than £100.

I have been thinking of getting a little furnace next year, would it be okay to melt, or would the mishmash of metals mess it up?

Is there anything else I can do with it?

I only get sent a few bits a month, but it keeps turning up & adds up over time, so what to do with it is a problem that's not going to go away.

None of it is anything I'd consider wearing as it looks nasty.

Personally I would just get it off to a bullion refinery and dealer than can pay you something for it. Getting a furnace and trying to melt it won't end up working very well with mixed metals and the additional cost won't be worth it to end up with an ugly bar!

Sell it here on the forum if you can get the XRF results to prove the metal content maybe? 

If you have a decent quantity you can send it to Baird and Co as an individual. Probably would work out getting about 75 to 80% of melt value after they melt it and assay it 

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

I have a few things I want to cast myself (not bar, things for me to keep), which is what I'm planning on getting a little furnace for.
I have no plans to sell things I make as I'm really not customer friendly - I shut down my workshop mainly because I couldn't face dealing with one more customer.
They drove me up the wall.

Guess I'll have to buy silver to melt.

Thanks @BackyardBullion