• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

First platinum purchase. 5g bar

Rudy

I understand buying the full oz. Is the best to reduce the premium. All I could afford was a fractional bar. Instead of a 1g or 2.5g I purchased a 5g. Was it worth it? What is the smallest bar choice in which the premiums start to cool down. I hope I made the right choice with the 5g. Bar

Spot at purchase was $31.38 a gram

I paid $207 for the 5 gram bar from APMEX on a cyber Monday sale 

Premium was apprx $10.00 on each gram

Edited by Rudy
Add what I paid for bar

3 hours ago, Rudy said:

Was it worth it?

Hello. It might help people give you a better answer if you mention what premium you paid (or the price and date so people can work it out) 

I personally haven't bought any Pt but there are numerous members that have.

In terms of did you make a good choice, it depends what the future price is when you come to sell 👌🏽

10 hours ago, Rudy said:

I understand buying the full oz. Is the best to reduce the premium. All I could afford was a fractional bar. Instead of a 1g or 2.5g I purchased a 5g. Was it worth it? What is the smallest bar choice in which the premiums start to cool down. I hope I made the right choice with the 5g. Bar

Spot at purchase was $31.38 a gram

I paid $207 for the 5 gram bar from APMEX on a cyber Monday sale 

Premium was apprx $10.00 on each gram

Hi rudy.

We pay vat in the UK on platinum so its not apple's for apple's unfortunately. 

Here's how I'd view it in your shoe's ( assuming you wear shoe's 😆)

$207 ÷ 5 = $41.40

In GBP that equates to £34.61 so that's an OK premium for us ( remember we pay vat) but seems on the high side for you.

Best sticking to 1oz coins/bars to bring the premium down ( save up for next items) obviously you need spot to sit still for this to be beneficial though.

Example, I can get a 1oz coin now in UK at approximately £1000 , so that's $1196 ÷ 31.1g = €38.40 per gram ( but in the US that should be substantially less with no vat to pay)

I like to buy the pre-dip dip